New Home

"Damn..." Mila muttered under her breath as she followed behind her parents. They entered their new home, a lavish mansion which was planets away from what her parents had been used to for the past 22 years.
It was classsy, gold accented furniture scattered as far as her eye could see. High ceilings with crystal chandeliers. Two separate staircases spiraling upwards and meeting at the very top, only to produce more steps, more floors.

Mila had almost forgotten to breathe when she heard her mother giggling. She looked at her direction and found the Joker with his arms around her, whispering in her ear as she giggled and laughed out.

Mila smiled at this and turned around, trying to give them their privacy. Just then, her phone rang.
She glanced down at the caller ID.

"What? No way!" She exclaimed as she swiftly answered.
"Ember! Oh my god! How have you been?" Mila spoke excitedly on the phone, making the Joker and Harley break away from each other and look her way.

"Yeah! Totally! Actually...wait. No..." Mila glanced over at her parents.
The Joker slowly walked her way, eyeing her curiously. Who was she talking to?

Mila noticed and quickly spoke in her phone

"Look Em, I gotta go now. I will talk to you soon, love you!" And with that, Mila hung up.

"Who's that?" The Joker asked.
"My best friend." Mila replied.

"Oh you have friends?" The Joker grinned.

Mila scoffed

Mila scoffed. "I like to keep my circle small." She replied.

The Joker cupped her face and kept grinning.
"That's what I like to hear." He said before letting her go and walking up the stairs. "Harley!" He shouted, to which Harley immediately ran to his side as he walked up the steps.

"That's new..." Mila muttered to himself as she watched them disappear up the steps.

She quickly whipped her phone out and texted ember.

Mila: you won't believe this...🙄
Ember: try me!😋
Mila: so I'm with my parents..
Ember: wait, the parents you blew off? Your fake ones?
Mila: no...not them
Ember: GIRL WHAT THE HELL! What's going on?!
Mila: hear me out! I kinda got myself in a bind. I think we'll have to delay your trip for now.
Ember: But I've already booked my flight AND gone shopping! I got you the cutest clothes! Besides, I'm curious now. What happened with your parents? You know...the joker..?
Mila: I'll call you later tonight. I'm here living with them in a fucking mansion Em. A MANSION!
I think they usually go out clubbing so I'll be home and we can figure it out.
Ember: mansion?! clubbing? Your parents? That's supposed to be you, girl! You need to be off getting good dick! When's the last time you got laid?
Mila: Em! 😳😳...it's been two months.
Ember: oh god!
Mila: my parents look about my age, believe it or not, so they go hand in hand with clubbing and parties. Anyway, I'll text you later. My dads henchmen are bringing my stuff in and I gotta settle in my room.
Ember: HENCHMEN!? Girl it's for real!🙌🏻 I'm definitely coming over now, I gotta see this! Call me soon! ❤️
Mila: will do love😌 ttyl

Mila sighed as she put the phone in her boots and grabbed her purse from atop one of the boxes.
"This way, miss," Frost respectfully spoke as he led Mila up the steps and through the corridor to her room.
Once he pushed the door open, her eyes widened in bliss.
A single dark purple wall was staring her right in the face. The room had gray accents and the rest of the walls were gray. She sighed as she walked in. The room was super clean, they had definitely tended to it before Mila had arrived.

She walked to her bed completely entranced and slowly sat on it, looking around.
"I love this." She said with a smile.
"Yeah, your dad knew you would." He chuckled as he set the box he was carrying down. A few seconds later a few other men came in and set down all the heavy boxes from Mila's apartment.
Mila got straight to work as the men started moving the heavier things and placing them where she instructed. She took out her clothes from the boxes and hung them neatly in the large walk-in closet.

"Knock knock," a raspy voice was heard from the doorway. Mila turned and saw the Joker standing there shirtless with only his Arkham sweatpants.
Mila looked down at them.
"Dad, I don't mean to be rude but you don't have to wear those filthy sweatpants anymore. If you'd like I can go out and get some new ones without being reminded of that dreadful place." She said.
The Joker laughed.
"It's a firm foundation, Mila, of who I am. And who I am is proud of the fact." He said.
Mila stared blankly at him and resumed her work of unpacking. The Joker walked in and looked down at one of the boxes. Right on top of her items was the little clown doll.

He picked it up and looked at Mila who was diligently walking around trying to settle her things. He walked slowly towards her, a blank expression on his face, and reached out to touch her cheek. She quickly stopped her actions and looked at him.

For a split second he saw the little baby he'd cradle secretly for hours. The face he would fight for. The face he was imprisoned for for the past 22 years. And he never tried to escape. Not even once.

All to ensure she was safe.

"Dad?" She asked in a low voice, making him snap out of it.
He swiftly shoved the clown doll into Mila's hands and walked out. Mila stood holding the doll, looking down at it.
She knew it had triggered some sort of memory.
She smiled and held it up to her cheek.