Chapter Twentytwo

"No dragon can resist the fascination of riddling talk and of wasting time trying to understand it."
― J.R.R. Tolkien,The Hobbit

 Tolkien,The Hobbit

SethsP.O.V

I was distracted. Too distracted, and the guys knew it too. They had pestered me about what was up, but I managed to pass it off as another sleepless night, although the look Cole threw me told me he didn't believe it for one second.

I finally managed to get the guys out, asking them to go check the bar and see if Greg needed any help, slamming the front door after Nate pretending to be devastated at being evicted from his comfy seat.

"Always so exciting then?" Jasper asked, leaning against the living-room door.

"Something like that" I sigh, dragging a hand down my face before looking straight at him. "Come on, lets talk." I start to head for the living-room, sitting on my chair again and Jasper flops down comfortably on the couch. "So, serious talk then. What you wanting to know" He smirks, folding his arms behind his head.

"Tell me about you. What was the army like? Did you like it, do you agree with the polices, where's your moral compass at?" I asked, leaning forward with elbows on my knees. Jasper raised an eyebrow at me but stays relaxed.

"Yeh? Okay then" He nods before going silent for a few moments.

"The army was the second most difficult thing I've been through. Today bumped it down. Training was hard but I pushed myself, knew I had to make myself better, stronger. It was when I was deployed that everything went to shit. It's all backwards out there man, total utter bullshit. My main focus for a long time was just survival, I had more than a few close calls with the reaper over the years. I stayed to myself, had one close colleague but that was it. I had learned not to trust anyone there, they were all a bunch of back stabbing bitches, clawing at each other to climb the stupid ladder for some sort of stupid feeling of false achievement." He glances up at me.

"I despise this country's politics. They're all abunch of lying pricks out to make their wallets fats and their dicks wet." I couldn't control the laugh that escaped me then. I liked Jasper, he had good instincts. Just then he sits up straight, leaning towards me.

"And what about you Seth? Who are you? I know that you're hiding something from Willow. I wont hesitate to protect her in any way I need to, even from you." He spoke low and steady, no waver in his voice and maintained eye contact. He would be damn right terrifying to people without the same training I had gotten. I smirk at him. He definitely had good instincts.

"Your perceptive. Yeh, I am, but I have to. I have an offer for you. You have to keep your mind open, and should you refuse, then you are still sworn to secrecy, and know that the consequences will be severe if you betray us."