Chapter Forty

"A philosopher once asked, "Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?" Pointless, really... "Do the stars gaze back?" Now, that's a question."
― Neil Gaiman, Stardust

" ― Neil Gaiman, Stardust

A week passed after being released from the hospital and I was slowly getting through the days. Seth had shown me the reason he had been disappearing for a while. A beautiful Moses basket, that he had hand made himself and dressed up. It looked like the one I had liked the most in the shop but he had made it bigger, and painted it all. Then sanded it down and baby proofed it all. He had even made the rocking stand that went with it. I was in love with it, more so because he had poured so much effort and love into making this for my, our baby. But then my heart shattered, both for my boy and for Seth. He must have been devastated, after spending so much time on such a beautiful basket, so much care put into it. And we had to pack it away into storage.

We had agreed that all the baby stuff that he had gotten would all stay in the baby room, and it would stay untouched. Locked away until I either wanted or had another baby, or I decided against it, when we could then either donate the things to someone else.

Seth had told his dad that in no uncertain terms that he was taking time off from 'work' to help me recover, not that he had argued.

I still had yet to speak to Seth about his 'work.' Not that either of us were avoiding it, we were just distracted by everything else happening. But I knew that the conversation would have to happen soon.

I was fiddling about with my camera, playing with settings when my stomach growled rather loudly, attracting Seth's attention from his spot on the couch, where he had been reading some book. When he pulled out reading glasses from his drawer I almost burst. I never knew he needed them, and god did they make him look a hundred times sexier.

"You needing food Panda?" He called over his shoulder, pushing said glasses up his nose to their rightful place. The damn things kept distracting me every time he moved them or adjusted them, even if he wasn't aware of doing it, he was just teasing me.

"Er, Yeh, yes!" I felt myself flush as some of the thoughts that began to infiltrate my mind as Seth looked over his shoulder at me with a raised brow, a clear question on his face.

"I mean yeh, I could do with a snack." He watched me for a minute before glancing back at his book, marking his page and placing it down on the small table. I watched as he pulled the glasses off, folding them and placing them on top of the book before standing and stretching. His arms above his head, shirt sliding up to show a delicious sliver of taunt muscle and the waist band of his boxers hanging low on his hips, just for a few, long seconds.

I snapped my gaze back up to his face as he let his arms drop, fully turning to me whilst tilting his head from one side to the other, stretching his neck out.