Thirty Three

Anthony

Today was Isabellas 23rd birthday and it was pretty exciting. And as the team flew from Cincinnati to Miami for the next series I got a special request granted. One of the perks of being a really sweet guy.

Isabella was super bummed she couldn't be with Ciara and Jon on her birthday because they would be in Boston for game six of the Stanley cup final. The Hawks had the most dominate few months in the history of professional hockey and were looking to wrap it up with another cup. They won in 2010 but winning is addicting, you want to keep doing it and Jon was going to lead them there.

And thanks to a few pulled strings we got the chance to watch them take it home. We fly from Cincinnati to Boston after my game and make it there just before the guys take the ice for warm ups.

Since I was in Boston for a little I knew my way around and got us to the garden mostly safe. Nicky might have been a little banged up from bouncing around the back of the rental car without his car seat but he couldn't tell. He changed from my jersey to Jonnys and he had a cool all access pass from him to show around, Charlie could have died and he wouldn't have noticed. But we just left the dog in the hotel so he wouldn't be so anxious before we fly out again tomorrow morning.

We get inside with no problems and find the little section of red in a mass of black and gold. I've seen first hand how this city handles hockey, I watched the bruins win the cup in 2011 and the Sox in 2007. It's a honor to watch but I was rooting for the Hawks. Chicago is always hungry for another championship and they should get this one. I don't see why they wouldn't. They had an amazing team and Jon was a great leader for them.

"Thank god you're here" Ciara sighs as we take our seats.

"What, couldn't take the fans" I ask and she glares at me.

"You know I hate things that involve irrational drunk people. Especially bruins fans" she mumbles.

"It's okay, I'm here" Nicky cheers and she picks him up.

"And I am very happy you are" she says.

We meet Jon's parents and a few of the other people and I can't believe how calm they were with what was happening around us. I prey to god no one recognizes me. I didn't leave here on bad terms but I wasn't exactly helping their team either.

The game gets started and the language gets pretty bad quickly. Hockey fans are nothing short of creative with their insults, to say the least. Nothing I don't hear when we watch the games at home but it smelled a lot worse here.

There's a whistle on the ice and Shaw goes to the box for... well for being Andrew Shaw.

"That's bull shit" Nicholas yells and I look over.

"Should I be concerned about that" Isabella asks.

"It's your birthday, you shouldn't have to worry" I insist and she nods.

"Right, just remind me tomorrow" she claims and I laugh.

As the night goes on it looks like we were in for a treat. All these games have been so exciting and thrilling and scary, it made me miss playing. I would have never gotten to this level but even street hockey is competitive and physical.

It comes to the third period and as time ticks down it looks like we were going to go to a game seven back home. I probably wouldn't be there and I really wanted a win for Isabellas birthday but I can't really control these things.

We start to pack up to try and beat the crowd out until the crowd goes silent. We look down and the Hawks were celebrating behind the opposing net. With less than two minutes left they tied the game and had a chance to win it all tonight.

But it wasn't all good news, for three out the four games so far has ended in over time and one of them took three over times. We had a early flight and Nicky had a bed time so I wasn't sure we could stay to watch it.

"Please can we stay" he begs.

"I don't know buddy, it's getting late and we have to get to Miami tomorrow" Isabella reasons.

"Pleaaaaase" he begs.

"Don't use those eyes on me" she warns.

"I can have aunt Ciara bring me back" he bargains.

"She's going to want to be with Jonny no matter what happens tonight" Isabella insists.

"Why don't we wait for the end of regulation before we make a decision" I offer.

"Fine" she sighs and Nick gives me a high five.

After a media timeout they drop the puck again and we wait to see how this plays out.

Turns out it only took them 17 seconds to score the go-ahead goal and lead for the first time in the game. They came from behind 2-1 to got up 2-3 and now there were just seconds away from winning.

Chaos ensues in our little section as the arena falls completely silent. They were in shock and honestly I was too. A few minutes ago we were about to go home expecting a game seven and now we can clinch the cup tonight. Isn't sports amazing?

The Hawks hold them off and chip the puck away as the clock winds down. We all scream as we weren't quite sure what else to do. That was a great part of sports history and it was so cool to watch this.

Nick jumps off the chair and into my arms and I catch him easily.

"We did it" he yells.

"We did" I yell back.

"This is the best birthday ever" Isabella claims as she tries to pry Ciara off of her. She was a little nervous to say the least.

After everyone calms down they do their handshakes and they bring out the red carpet. They announce Patrick Kane as play off MVP because honestly he was on fire. He was a pleasure to watch and I was thankful he was on this team to say the least.

Jonny raises the cup over his head and we cheer loudly from the side. Even though there was way more drunken boos I couldn't hear them. They didn't matter in that moment when I watched my best friend start to cement his place in the hall of fame.

After the game was done we drive back to the hotel. We retrieve our dog and get tucked in before shutting off the lights.

"Hey anthony" Isabella whispers.

"Yeah baby" I reply softly.

"Thank you for tonight, that was awesome" she claims.

"That was a pretty good game" I admit.

"It's not just the game. It was watching it with you and Nicky and Ciara. It was how every time I had to pee you never complained about having to get up to let me out. It was how there could be the coolest thing happening on the ice and you would miss it because you were looking at me for whatever reason with that cute grin plastered on your face. It's how you would look away every time I caught you staring. It was so much more than the game that made this night so memorable. It was me being with you at the game" she insists.

"I didn't think you noticed me staring" I admit.

"I always see it, it makes me feel so good. Like I'm wanted and loved and I look forward to you looking at me like that. Like in that stadium of tens of thousands of people I was the only one you saw" she says.

"You're always the only one in my eyes, always has been. And I love looking at you, just watching you watch life pass you by. You have a appreciation of every moment and I appreciate every moment with you. Sometimes I have to stop and stare to make sure I'm going to remember these moments forever. I won't, but I have to try. Because it's never time wasted when I'm wasting time with you. You're more valuable to me than time or space or anything that we have no control over. Because I'm the end, when I look at you, I know that it doesn't get any better than this" I admit.

"I love you so much" she says sleepily.

"I love you too, my beautiful Bella."