Thanks For Trying

Melissa

"Mel! The door" my brother screams letting me know that Anthony was here to pick me up and I let out a sigh. Here goes nothing.

I look in the mirror one last time and look myself over. My dirty blonde hair was curled and some night time make up done. My lips painted red and some accessories to accent the dark dress.

I walk out my room and my brother furrows his eyebrows as he watches me closely

"You can't wear that on your date" he insists.

"And why is that" I ask.

"That's too sexy" he claims.

"That's kinda the point" I say blowing past him. I hear him let out a huff but I just ignore his exasperated attempt for me to listen to him. I open the door and see Anthony stand there smiling big as ever. I know he had a game tonight so we had to wait until he was done to do this but I didn't mind any. I get it. Plus that means my daughter will be in bed by the time he got here and there wasn't this big scene when I left.

"Wow Mel, you look amazing" he breathes heavy as he checks me out.

"Thanks. You're looking pretty great yourself" I say and he smiles.

"I got these for you" he says handing me a bouquet of roses. They were this amazing red, like the color of his shirt.

"Thank you, these are beautiful" I insist.

"You are" he says and I giggle, damn it. I set them inside and I see my brother standing there. He had his arms crossed over his chest and was trying to look all big and bad. He looked sick but he wasn't acting like it.

"I want her back by 1 am" my brother warns and I shake my head.

"Ignore him. That's my brother Tim... who is lucky I am letting him stay here for free so he's going to keep his mouth shut" I grumble and he puts his hands up.

"I'm just saying" he claims.

"Goodbye Timothy" I say grabbing Anthony's hand and walking out.

"Goodbye Melissa" he calls out.

We get outside and I realize I was still holding his hand so I let go. I was honestly just trying to get him out of there but I didn't hate the feeling of his hand in mine either.

"Your brother seems nice" he mentions and I laugh.

"He is a mess, it's not really his fault though" I shrug.

"Why is that" he wonders and I turn to him. He opens the door to his car and waits for me to get in. So I slip inside and close the door before he joins me in the drivers side.

"My brother has colon cancer. He's about to start his 8th cycle of chemo later on this month. It's been pretty hard, he can't work and doesn't have medical insurance. The cancer hasn't gotten much better but it hasn't gotten worse either. But he has to get treatments here in Chicago so I let him stay at my place. He helps me out and I help him as much as I can. I took that bartending job so I could have some extra cash to help him but it barley puts a dent in the money he owes for medical expenses" I explain.