I Must Be Dreaming

Anthony

I inhale deeply as I stand in front of Melissa's door and I stare at it. I slowly let out a breath as I close my eyes. I was early to pick her up but I had nothing better to do. So I finally knock on her door and wait.

The door handle jiggles for a while before it slowly opens. I don't see anyone on the other side until I look down.

"Tony" Mallory cheers with her small voice and I couldn't help but smile.

"There's my favorite little person" I reply and her eyes lights up. She raises her hands above her head and I pick her up and place her on my hip. I walk inside and close the door behind me.

"What did you do today" I ask as I stand in the doorway. She had her arms wrapped around my neck as she stares at me with her big blue eyes. She was the most precious thing in the world.

"We watched you play baseball! It was really fun until Uncle Tim said a bad word" she accuses and I gasp.

"How dare he" I tease as he comes out of the kitchen.

"That call was bull shit and you know it" he insists and I laugh.

"Yeah, but there isn't much I can do about that" I defend. "I didn't know you watched baseball" I admit.

"I've been stuck in Chicago doing nothing but going between here and the hospital for four years. The sports culture is contagious when you can't do anything else but watch tv" he shrugs.

"Do you like any teams from back home" I ask.

"Only college teams. And any team that beats Alabama" he yells so that Melissa could hear him.

"Bite me" she screams back causing us to laugh.

"Why would Uncle Tim bite mommy" Mallory asks me and I shake my head.

"There is not good enough reason" I assure her.

"Are you almost ready" Tim yells out.

"Yeah! Give me a few seconds" she yells back.

"More like minutes" her brother mutters and I laugh.

I sit on the couch with Mallory still in my arms. She had really taken a liking to me and I already loved her. She was the coolest, sweetest little thing ever. Plus she was super funny but she was living with Timothy and Melissa so that wasn't too shocking.

"What's your favorite animal" I ask just trying to make conversation.

"A unicorn, duh" she replies.

"Okay. And what's your favorite food" I wonder.

"Ice cream" she cheers and I smile.

"We should have a ice cream date some day" I insist.

"Ohhh can we get toppings" she asks.

"Of course" I smile.

A few seconds later the door opens and Melissa emerges. And I was happy I was sitting down because I surely would have fallen over if I was standing right now.