You Make Me Happy

Melissa

I find myself in a very familiar place but for different reason than usual this time. I was back in my place of work, but this time I wasn't the one taking pictures. I was nine months along and we were here to take maternity pictures before the baby got here, which was really any day now. But I bring my nine months pregnant belly and my daughter and husband into a room where Ryan was waiting for us to take some pictures.

"Uncle Ryan" Mallory yells as she runs up to him. She jumps in his arms and he happily swings her around.

"Uncle" Anthony asks.

"Every male to her is a Uncle. Except for David... thanks to you and Kris David is Grandpa Rossy for him" I explain and he laughs.

"It's really unfortunate she listens to me" he claims.

"Tell me about it" I mumble.

We get settled in and start to take some pictures. Some of just me and some of me and Anthony then Mallory joined us. I had on a long red dress and Anthony and Mallory were matching with me. We take a bunch of really cute pictures and Ryan makes sure that I look good, he would never steer me wrong when it came to how I looked in pictures. Ryan said I was free to edit any of the ones I wanted and that made me excited. I hated that I just got my degree and couldn't even put it to work yet but family forever comes first, and I got some pretty sweet pictures to show for it.

"I have something for you" Anthony claims during a lag in the shoot and I laugh.

"I'm shocked" I reply sarcastically.

"I wrote you a little something and I wanted to read it to you here so we can capture it on camera" he claims as my eyes get big.

"Anthony" I warn.

"Don't worry, you'll only be a little mad at me" he promises and I giggle.

He pulls a piece of paper from his pocket and clears his throat. I can tell he was nervous but I thought it was cute. He knows that I hate when he does nice things for me, but he does them anyway and I love him for that.

"When I first met you I was a baseball player, I was a son, and I was a cancer survivor. That's all. I knew about family and baseball and that was about it. I had no real drive to my life, no real purpose besides the game and the ones I loved all my life. I was kinda lost as I wasted my time looking for things that was waiting for me to find them, but I was looking in the wrong places. I couldn't seem to find my way to you because I was trying too hard. Having a love like ours didn't just show up one day, I had to wait to watch it grow. I had to water it and put it in the sunlight then it would be a beautiful flower someday. And I say that day is today.

Because now I'm a husband and a dad and I help people fight cancer in the best way possible and I'm part of a great family that just keeps growing. Ever since you came into my life I have been able to be so much more than I ever thought I could be and that's all thanks to you. You showed me how patience and care makes the most beautiful gardens. You showed me that I could love harder than I ever thought was possible. You showed me that there's more to me than a baseball player and a son and a cancer patient. I'm so many things to so many people and I can be all those things because I love you.

When we first found out we were pregnant I could tell you were concerned that I didn't want a baby yet. We had just recently gotten married without getting engaged and you just moved in and we were still trying to work things out. I can always tell when you get stuck in your head and worry that you're not making me happy or that something happened and I wouldn't like it. Little did you know that you already made me the happiest father in the world and I was begging for another kid to have with you. And even though that kid will never be Mallory, he can be everything he wants to be and more thanks to you and I. There isn't another girl out there that I would rather be with than you. I can not wait to meet our little boy and watch Mallory help take care of him and watch him come to games. I can't wait to go to family events, just the four of us and we can brag about how happy we are. I can't wait to look him in the eyes and tell him how we are the luckiest guys in the world.

And I wanted these pictures done for so many reasons, to show the kids when they get older how loved they are, to remember the times when we were just starting to become a family, to remind me that no matter how many times I mess up I have people that will love me no matter what. But I wanted these pictures mostly so whenever life gets hard I can remember why I have been fighting it for this long. Because of you and our babies and this incredible relationship we grew from just a seed found at a bar back at the apartment building.

And we're still growing, we're about to have a baby and the season is still young and there's so much to do. But I have to say that these flowers we grew, they're so beautiful. And none more beautiful than you. I wish I could tell you all the ways I love you. I wish I could show you how much you drive me wild. But I can't because you will never see what I see, but I guess that's okay, that's what makes you special.

I wasn't that guy who believed in god and fate and that stuff. I believed that miracles happens once hard work was established and that everything that is supposed to happen would. But I also believe in you, in us and that something incredibly powerful is going on here. Something that can't be explained by force or hard work. Call it what you will, whether it be fate or a miracle, I don't really care. All I care about is making you happy" he claims as he reaches out for my hand.

"You make me so happy" I sniffle as he smiles at me.

"You promise" he asks and I nod at him.

"I swear you do" I promise.