||CHAPTER 4||

🦋BETTY'S POV🦋

🦋BETTY'S POV🦋

"I just feel bad for the girl who got milkshaked," Kevin said.

"Milkshaked? Is that even a real word Kev?" Veronica asked.

The five of us were in the Student Lounge, and lunch was the hottest topic right now.

I felt bad that the Serpents had to get abused like that. I knew we all had this rivalry, but at the same time, I hoped that stuff like today wouldn't happy again.

Even though deep down I knew it would.

"What do you think B? You've barely said anything" Veronica said.

I looked up from my book "well-"

"What's up guys," Jughead said walking in with the girl who Cheryl poured a milkshake on at lunch.

I looked back down at my book. What the hell was he doing?

"Um, hi" I heard Archie's voice say.

"Can we sit?" Jughead asked.

"Sure, go ahead," Veronica said.

"Be quiet, then he won't notice you," I told myself.

"So, what are your names?" Kevin asked.

"I'm Toni, and that's Jughead," the girl said.

"Cool. Uh, I'm Kevin, that's Archie, Veronica, and Betty."

I kept my eyes glued to my book, even though a part of me wanted to look into Jughead's eyes.

"What are you reading Juliet" I heard Jughead say.

My heart skipped a beat. Did he really just say that?!

"Juliet?" Archie said, "do you guys know each other?"

"They have Science together," Toni said "and Jughead has nicknames for everyone. They're usually based off of book or movie characters."

I looked up at Jughead "To Kill A Mockingbird."

He grinned "that's one of my favorites."

"Of course it is" I mutter then grabbing my bag "you know what, I just remembered. I need to meet Mr. Clarke because I missed a homework assignment."

I got up and walked away. I didn't really need to meet anyway, I just needed to get away from Jughead.

I found the Blue And Gold newspaper room and walked in. Kevin and I worked here most of the time, and it's usually the place I go to think.

The door then opened, and I saw Jughead yet again.

"Are you stalking me or something?!" I asked.

"No," he told me "I-"

"You can't do that," I said cutting him off "you can't just walk in there calling me Juliet. Okay?! they don't know!"

"I know that" Jughead replied calmly.

"Then why did you do it?!" I snapped.

"I-" he said but then sighed "I don't know."

"Look, it can't be that hard to put that night behind us," I told him "we just kissed."

Jughead laughed "that's the understatement of the year."

I frowned "what? We did!"

"We did kiss, but there was more," he said, "I put you up on my kitchen counter, I took your shirt off, and you too mine off then-"

"Okay, I get your point."

Jughead took a step closer to me "listen, Betty, ever since that night I can't stop thinking about you. As many times as you try and push me away I know somewhere deep down you feel the same way."

He was right.

I did feel the same way.

But he couldn't know that I did.

"I don't care that I'm a Serpent, I don't care if your Alice Cooper's daughter-"

"Woah Woah, what does my Mom have to do with any of this?" I asked.

Jughead looked down, and I grabbed his arm firmly.

"Tell me," I said "now."

"Your Mom used to be a Serpent," Jughead told me "before she married your Dad."

I blinked. I had finally found out my mother's secret.

But why did she hate the Serpents now? Maybe they did something to make her leave. I didn't think to ask Jughead any of these questions. 

I let go of Jughead's arm. "You say that you can't get me out of your head. How can I believe you? How can I believe that you actually care?"

"Because" Jughead said taking a step closer to me "every night when I go to bed I see your face in my dreams. In the dream, darkness is surrounding me and I'm scared, cold, and alone. Then you come, you're a brilliant light and you come and save me. You tell me that we can't work and we can't see each other again, but I tell you that we can, somehow. Then, I kiss you and...and it's almost like the light and the dark is coming together. I've had that dream for a month now, and I don't know how else I can prove to you that I do care. I know how wrong we are but I do."

I blinked away tears. I wanted to tell Jughead that I cared too and that I did remember that night. 

But, how would we work?

I had to let him go, even though it was going to hurt.

"We can't work," I told him "we need to put that night behind us. I'm sorry."

Before Jughead could respond, I rushed out of the room wiping my tears on the way out.