Opposite expectations

Alice watched her students keenly as they executed the moves she had just shown them. It took her a while for her to notice the meek teenage boy who walked into her studio.

"Okay take five everyone! And Bobo, pay attention to that footwork at the end," she called.

As the people in the room milled about, she turned to face the boy waiting for her attention.

"Hello, I'm Alice and welcome to Fuzzy Toes studio. How can I help you?"

"I'd like to sign up for classes here," he said uncertainly. Alice took a closer look at him and noticed that he wasn't as young as she thought he was. He was maybe almost done college or already graduated like herself. He was of medium height and a lean build with a large dark hoodie and glasses.

"Okay, if you'll come over here for a sec," she said leading him to a counter at the side. She went behind it to reach the forms he needed and handed them to him.

"What times and what days are you able to come for? Choosing a class will also depend on your level, but I like to mix up classes to promote a sense of freedom and competition. So what would you like?" You wouldn't think she had just opened the place up for less than a year from how professional and confident she was.

"Uhm, I was thinking Saturdays and Sundays in the afternoon?" he responded hesitantly.

Alice nodded her head while checking off the boxes in his form that he would have to focus on for those days.

"You're lucky that I teach classes at exactly and only at 2 to 5 on the weekends. Also the classes are relatively big so if your uncomfortable with that please let me know."

"Uhm, that's fine. I mean, I don't mind the crowd or the time."

"Okay just bring this form with you on Saturday and you can start right away. Hope to see you there.

~

"Okay let's start today with my mantra, like always. You guys can struggle, be awkward or be plain bad, but at least be you. I don't want to see exact copies of what I've done, but with your own personal flare added to it. There are no judges in our midst, at least none that I know of, so dance the way you want to," Alice said to everyone gathered in the room. They was approximately 30 students in her studio right now, including that newcomer who she learned was named Derick and was a recent college graduate. 

"So, whatcha got for us today Cece?" asked Robert, or as he liked to be called, Bobo. She smirked at the sassy black guy she became fast friends with during their first meeting.

"Well, I have been working on One Kiss by Dua Lipa lately so...That's what we're doing today," Alice says coyly before cueing up the song.

The class watched rapt when she moved perfectly to the song as she showed them the dance for the first time. She was lucky her class was full of such great people because she only had to go through the parts of the dance three times at the most. It helped that there was some repetitive parts and that the dance she choreographed was one of the easy, fun ones she had made.

By the end of the class, everyone had the dance memorized and it was time for her favorite part of the class, the showcase. At the end of each class, either people volunteered or she picked out people she wanted to perform in front of everybody. There was no pressure and anyone could refuse, but no one did because it was a great way to receive recognition for their hard work and skill. 

"Okay, does anyone want to start us off?" Alice yelled to the crowd of sweaty but happy people.

"Oh, you know I do girly!" Bobo answered immediately.