Criminal love

I decided to do something different and to really stick with the prompt's wording so this is an insert reader one-shot. Your high school sweet heart was not named so you can put whatever name you want. I did make him Italian because-Come on!-its the mafia! Enjoy!

~~~~

You ran down the hall and out to the field behind the school to find him already waiting there for you. He had asked to meet you there after classes that day and had seemed off that day so you were concerned that something was wrong.

"Hey there, whatcha want to talk about?" you asked as you took a seat beside him on the bleachers.

He was silent for a few more seconds but at your encouraging look, he sighed and turned to face you with a serious look on his face. Yes, your boyfriend was serious sometimes, but he had never been this tense with you since he had confessed to you in junior year and you guys were seniors with only a month left of high school. This should have rang warning bells in your head, but you ignored it to focus on your out of character boyfriend.

"I'm sorry I haven't told you sooner and I know I promised to take you to prom and that we would graduate together but it just came up so soon-"

"Babe, your rambling," you interrupted him and he took a few deep breaths to steady himself.

"I have to leave town, I have no choice to move with the rest of my family no matter how much I want to stay with you. But a long distance relationship between us won't work and I can't weigh you down like that so I'm breaking up with you."

You stared back in shock at your boyfriend and tears slipped unknowingly down your face. 

"You couldn't have told me sooner? When do you leave?" you asked shakily as a sob slipped out of you.

You could see it in his eyes like every other time you had cried that it was killing him, but he didn't pull you close until your tears stopped like every other time. His expression became impassive and for once you couldn't tell what he was thinking or feeling.

"I'm sorry babe, I really am, but I leave tomorrow."

You broke down crying then when your world crumbled down on you with no prior notice and you didn't even have time to pick up the pieces before he moved away. But you loved him too much for your goodbye to only be filled with tears.

"D-don't be a stranger you know w-where I've been accepted to and where I live and I won't ever change my number so stay in touch and-"

His phone vibrating cut off your rambling so he glanced down at the message and looked back at you with sadness in his eyes.

"I have to go help finish packing everything and then we leave tomorrow morning so I guess this is goodbye."

"For now," you added determinedly and that got a small smile out of him.

"For now."

~~~~~~

Seven years later

"Bethany, can you make sure that the shop closes without a hitch while I run this cheque quickly to the bank?"

Bethany glanced at you from her book from where she sat behind the counter, and gave you a thumbs up. She was a university student who worked part time at your café and bistro but had been with you for a few years already. Considering that no one was there at the moment and the shop closed in 30 minutes, she would have no problem closing shop. If you hadn't needed to drop off the cheque before the bank closed then you wouldn't leave the work for Bethany alone, but Dave was there too. Dave was the cook at your shop and loved the freedom you gave him as long as the food he made included breakfast, lunch and baked good options and were reasonable priced. Of course you had a set menu at the shop, but it changed with the season and there were occasional special items offered. You hitched your purse higher as you entered the bank behind a large group of men who immediately pulled out guns and threatened everyone to get on the ground.