I Don't Do Well With Unexpected Things

I Don’t Do Well With Unexpected Things

Her autumn hair covers her face as she rushes out of English class. The teacher agreed to let her go to the bathroom. Because she is the quiet girl in school, the one who keeps her thoughts to herself and talks quietly, curious gazes are on her back as soon as she zips through the room. She doesn’t walk to the bathroom; she runs.

It’s not that far, just down the hall. Finally, she could cry. Let the tears stream down her face and the awful pain sink into her heart. She wasn’t good with unexpected things; normal people would be shocked. Terrified. Not her. It wouldn’t sink in at a random time.

Like the last day of her junior year in high school. It didn’t hit her until precisely 8:34 in the morning while she was waiting patiently for the bus. It hit her that she wouldn’t see her friends, or her teachers, or even the school until three months later. She almost bawled her eyes out.

It finally hit her that her parents were divorced. 

Bathroom. Now.

Her one and only friend, Ally, was there for her faster than a speeding bullet as soon as she got the text. She found her friend in the middle bathroom stall. Ally swings open the stall to see her red haired friend crying her eyes out. Her green eyes are brimmed with tears. “Oh, honey, what’s wrong?”

She scoops her up in her arms, giving her a large hug. She needs it. “They’re divorced, Ally.”

Ally sighs. She knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Amy’s parents were always bickering over the stupidest things; dinner, the floors being cleaned, walking the dog. One minute they would be laughing over a funny moment at her dad’s work, the next, fighting over why the sky is blue. 

“It’s going to be okay, Amy.”

“It’s not.” She sniffs in, looking Ally straight in the eyes. “It’s not, Alley. My mom is moving out of Nevada, cross country. Back to New York. She wants me to pick. Her or dad. I can’t do that! I can’t, Alley, I just can’t!” That brings on another wave of sobs and violent tears. Memories flash by her head. Her 6th birthday party. Going to the community pool. First day of school. Graduation of middle school. When they were a happy family. That family is broken into pieces now.

“Ally, you don’t know how it feels to see your own family killing each other off.” Her voice is filled with raw emotion, the deep sadness flowing off her like a waterfall. “It hurts so bad when they fight. I just sit there in the middle of it. Watching, knowing if I say anything, they’ll get upset at me. Tell me to shut up and stay out of it. So I bite my tongue. You can’t bite your tongue too long, Ally, because it’ll start to bleed.” The tears fall as she talks, shoulders shaking with silent sobs. It makes a tear run down Alley’s cheek, knowing that she can’t do anything to help the pain. It’s not a pain you can make go away. It’ll stay there forever and ever.

“Look at me Amy.” Amy reluctantly looks up at her friend. “Whatever you pick, make sure you’re the most happy with it. You can’t let depression win. Fight it. Start a new life with your mom, or stay here with your dad. It’s your choice.”