We're Not Anybody But Ourselves

“Oh, I don’t know…if you don’t want to freeze to death…you’ll be needing to spend the night at my house…” He stands up straight, staring at me seriously. “Come to the dark side, we have Chinese take out.” 

All I wanted was my apartment. Instead, I got a arrogant headed neighbor that likes to stick his nose in other people's asses. Like mine, for example.

We’re Not Anybody But Ourselves

We’re not Spongebob and Patrick. We’re more like…Spongebob and Squidward.

We’re not Nick Cannon and Mariah Carrey. We’re more like…Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan.

We’re not Peanut butter and jelly. We’re more like…oil and vinegar.

We’re not two peas in a pod. We’re more like…opposite ends.

We’re not Kelso and Fez. We’re more like…Red and Bob.

We’re not Beast Boy and Cyborg. We’re more like…Starfire and Blackfire.

We’re not rain and snow. We’re more like….fire and water.

We’re not music and art. We’re more like…sports and science.

We’re not Adam and Cassie. We’re more like…Nick and Melissa.

We’re not Lisa and Colin. We’re more like…Homer and Bart.

We’re not mice and rats. We’re more like…cats and dogs.

What I’m trying to say is…

…We don’t get along.

Period.

___________

A shiver rolls down my spine. I clutch my heavy winter jacket to my sides and slide on the blue beanie onto my head. My black Uggs are securely wrapped around my feet with a pair of my favorite Christmas socks. My mother gave them to me as a gift. They have red and green stripes with a tiny picture of Santa in the corner. I told her I would never wear such a thing, but hey, they’re damn cozy. Just don’t tell her.

Underneath my black jacket, I have on a long sleeved grey shirt on. With that, I have sleek black pants. A scarf has to choke me in order to get outside. That’s what all this shit is for. Plus, I have to carry my steaming hot cup of hot chocolate and my car keys. Taking a deep breath of warm oxygen, I slowly open my front door with my mitten covered hands. The first thing that greets me is a gush of freezing air.

I rush out of my toasty warm apartment, down the icy stairs, and over to my car. I take one look at it and all my hopes of getting to work are ruined. “Shit!” I swear loudly, letting it echo across the parking lot. My car is packed tight underneath piles of crystal white snow. Just like everything else around here. I go to turn around towards my house to call up somebody to ask for a ride, or find the nearest bus route when I hear a chuckle.