Author's Note

This story is the second in this world, 'Hide and Seek' being the first. While the stories share a few characters, this is a distinct story by itself and the main protagonists of H&S will only make a token appearance. Reading H&S will help make sense of the backdrop to this story and give some context.

If you have read H&S, note that there will be a few time jumps in this tale. 'Checkmate' starts before the events of that story and runs parallel in some parts. 

For those who have asked about the relationship between the Clans and werewolves, the short explanation: Clanfolk are all descended from shapeshifters and were once able to change shape, however they have lost the ability to do so now, through evolution. They retain some of the traits of their forefathers, speed and strength, with some having other specialist abilities, such as animal calling or enhanced hearing. They also continue to live in the same social structures as in the past - the Clans. 

Please note that in this world, mates are mates, love is love, regardless of gender. If this is not something that you are comfortable with, then I would suggest reading no further. 

This is Lio's story. 

Welcome to the Clanlands.