March 2005

Those three words

Are said too much

They're not enough

-Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol)

____________________________________________________________

"There was another sighting of the bat man," Paul announced to the room.

"Who saw him?" Martin asked.

"A group of thugs was trying to rob the jewelry store down the street when he attacked them. At least, that's what they reported," Paul explained.

These sightings of a supposed "bat man" were becoming common. The first one was reported almost three months ago. No one knew who he was or where he came from. It was currently Gotham's biggest mystery. One many wanted to solve.

"Attacked or stopped?" Vicki asked. She was enraptured by the story of the bat man. And to be honest, so was I. He was intriguing. I'm sure Jonathan thought the same.

"It sounds to me like he's trying to do some good," I added. People started muttering amongst themselves. Some agreed with me. Others believed the opposite.

"If he wanted to help, he'd stop dressing like a bat and put on a uniform," a photographer, Anna said. "This city doesn't need a vigilante."

"Maybe that's exactly what the city needs," another man cut in. "Everyone knows the police station is filled with corrupt cops."

"Dressing like a bat, though! That's insane!" Anna said.

"This city is insane, what does one more make?" I said to Anna before collecting my things.

"Where are you going?" Anna asked.

"I've got an interview with one of the scientists at Wayne Enterprises." I looked at the paper that had the information on it. "A Dr. Kirk Langstrom."

"Never heard of him."

"Neither have I, but he requested it. So I guess I'm doing it," I said, putting the paper into my bag. I waved to my colleagues before leaving.

At least I wouldn't have to listen to them argue about the bat man.

____________________________________________________________

I had never been inside the Wayne Enterprises building. It was huge on the outside. It was actually the tallest building in Gotham. The inside, though; the inside was absolutely gorgeous. Modern and new. It took my breath away.

I walked to the reception desk. A woman sat tall at it.

"Excuse me, I'm from the Gazette. I'm supposed to speak with a Dr. Kirk Langstrom," I explained. The woman smiled.

"Of course. Take the elevator to the left, and you'll want to go to the fifteenth floor. They'll be someone there to help you find Dr. Langstrom," the women said. I thanked her and went to the elevator. The doors were about to close when someone stuck their hand between the doors to hold them open. I wasn't paying attention to who walked in.

"What floor?" I asked.

"Fourteen, please," a man's voice said. I pressed the number fourteen. The doors closed.

"Cool, I'm getting off at fifteen..." my voice suddenly stopped.

I was in an elevator with Bruce Wayne. The Bruce Wayne. Gotham's most eligible bachelor playboy billionaire. The owner of the building I was currently riding in an elevator in.

"I'm afraid I don't recognize you. Who are you?" he asked.

"Oh-um, Amber Connery. I'm from the Gazette. One of your scientists asked if we could talk to him. About something important, I guess."