22-2: Fruit Salad

I was ripped from the three boys and into a sturdy chest.

My eyes bulged. I knew who it was in a heartbeat.

Okito's voice was naturally deep, but it was especially so whenever he'd gotten angry. And although I couldn't see his face, I had a gut feeling he was wearing the darkest glower in existence—one he seldom showed when angered.

The boys ahead spat into the dirt, disgruntled expressions painting their faces. Hands in his pockets, they sauntered off, the leader first.

"Stupid bitch already has a boyfriend."

"What a waste of time."

"We could've had a good time with her too."

By the way Okito's fingers curled over my forearm, it was obvious he was restraining himself from going after them because of their comments. Even as they disappeared around the corner and further into the darkness, Okito didn't let go of me.

"Ouch."

"Sorry," he said, unhanding me. He'd returned to his senses. "Was I holding you too tight?"

I twisted around, craning my neck. The cool breeze sifted his bangs, leaving his stunning irises in full sight. I couldn't read a single thing swimming through his mind. But one thing was for certain—he saved me.

My rival saved me.

"Why'd you let yourself come unattended in the dark? Where's Sakurauchi?"

"She... was being fawned over by a bunch of guys so I snuck away. Then ate her fruit." My lips tightly met. I fixed my gaze to the ground. "Why do you care anyway? You've been ignoring me since the beginning of the year. What gave you the right to step in and save me?"

"You're complaining about that? That's not important right now."

I gripped the fabric of my sleeve. "It is. Someone showing concern for their rival means they're looking down on them. Even though I haven't brought you anything lately, that doesn't mean I've given up. Just like you hate me, I hate you too. And I'll make you regret that."

"Is... that what you think? That I hate you?"

I couldn't meet his eyes. "What is that supposed to mean? Isn't that how it is?"

Silence loomed over us. All I could hear was the rustle of the bushes nearby. What I hadn't accounted for, however, was him taking me by the shoulders again.

I was up against a tree, him blocking off my escape. He propped his elbows by either side of my head. His face was close—much closer than I was anticipating. I could see every familiar contour of his face and his mesmerizing eyes. My heart erupted into a low, irregular rhythm in my chest.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Did..." he said, arching his perfectly arched eyebrows, "you already forget what happened last summer?"

Bafflement consumed me. "Last... summer?"

He didn't answer. At least, for a while. He balled his fists beside me, proving his frustration.

This was off. He was acting strange. Considering it was our first conversation in months that'd lasted this long, this was not what I expected to be arguing about.

My mouth moved. "O—"

"Okito?"

The call came from behind him.

He retreated from me at once, swivelling around to face the girl standing there. "Shiori."

There was no shred of emotion depicted on Shiori Aida's face. That still didn't stop her from glaring daggers at me.