31: Snowflakes vs. Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

The moment Mr. Oto's voice blared through the speakers, all participants jumped into action. Some dashed towards the station carrying an extraordinary amount of ingredients while others picked up the small sketchbooks provided at each and every station.

Koyuki and I reached for the sketchbook.

"Our main challenge is that not only do we have to include a particular theme in our dessert, but we have to abide by a certain time limit," Koyuki said, uncapping the lid of the felt-pen. The clock was already counting down from an hour and thirty minutes. "But rushing won't help. We need to think carefully before we begin."

Those currently rushing for ingredients were probably thinking along the lines of collecting supplies before the ingredients ran out, but that wasn't smart. So long as they hadn't come up with a proper idea, they were setting themselves up for disaster.

Koyuki made sure to beat that knowledge into me during the training leading up to this competition.

"'Love and Sacrifice'," he reiterated, sketching the outline of a cupcake. Out of the both of us, he was the better artist, hands down. "I'm thinking..."

"Warm and cold." I propped my elbows onto the table and leaned over. "Sweet and bitter work, too."

He peered up in surprise.

I craned my neck. "What?"

"Nothing." Although he said that, the corners of his lips curved into a wide smile. "That's exactly what I was going to say."

My eyebrows ascended on my forehead as I watched him glide the pen across the page.

"Dark chocolate, right?" Oblivious to my reaction, Koyuki tapped the page. "What do you think about the frosting?"

I did my all to settle the joy spreading through me. Ever since we met, and all throughout the time he spent mentoring me, it was always one-sided. I deserved the constant rebuking I endured, sure, but the lessons in their entirety were only that—all stiff and formal. All mentor and mentee.

But now it wasn't like that. He wasn't telling me what to do or how to do it. He was asking for my opinion. He was relying on my input.

Because we were partners.

Quizzical about my silence, Koyuki twisted to face me. His expression immediately warped in disapproval. "Hey, take this seriously. We're losing time."

I merely tittered. Koyuki opened his mouth, ready to fire some questions, but he immediately silenced them with a sigh.

After bouncing ideas off one another, we eventually arrived at our final idea. Koyuki was in charge of the dark chocolate cupcakes. My responsibilities were the raspberry filling and cream cheese frosting.

Most groups had already begun whisking away at their bowls—Kohmi and Shiori being one of them. The two worked like a machine. No exchanges were necessary as they skillfully fulfilled their respective roles. Was it because of their blind faith in one another? Or because they couldn't be bothered?

Mr. Oto's commentating was silly and ear-piercing. He reflected on everything worth mentioning, whether that entailed their techniques or chosen ingredients. He even asked the judges on their input.

"Hey."

I pried my attention from the giant clock once I'd collected our required ingredients. With an empty bowl in arm, Koyuki furrowed his eyebrows.

"Don't try to do it all at once. If you need help, tell me and I'll come over."

Stunned, I could only stare at him.