40: French Toast

"—tori. Wake up. Kotori?"

Like a spell had been broken, my eyelids groggily peeled apart.

"Rise and shine." Miko poked her face in front of mine. "It's morning."

"French toast."

"Why is that the first thing you say? And you're surprisingly right. The guys are cooking breakfast."

The pillow against my ear; Miko hovering over me in her casual clothes; my unfamiliar surroundings. All tumbled into place one by one.

Oh, yeah. We were at Nori's family villa.

I hauled myself to my knees then rubbed my eyes.

"You were grumbling about something while you slept. Did you have a nightmare?"

Distorted images flashed across my mind.

"Okito..."

"Hmm?"

"I have to find Okito. Force my dessert down his throat. Make him say it's tasty."

She bonked my head. "You're half-asleep."

I drowsily tumbled into her arms.

Why... did I dream about the past? Because I'd chatted with him semi-recently? I chose to set off down this path, prepared to never go back to those easygoing days if need be; not until I made him concede defeat in this competition.

Nonetheless, of all timings, why did he choose that moment to kiss me?

"You should cure your stupidity."

It made sense, didn't it?

He was mocking me.

Up to the end.

"Get ready." Miko crouched to put away the futon on my behalf. "Setoguchi asked me to pass on a message, by the way."

"Chiaki did?"

She displayed a suggestive grin.

"'You're mine today.'"

"Teru, these go to table four

"Teru, these go to table four. Drinks to table five."

"Got it."

I loaded the tray into my arms, stabilizing my balance to the best of my ability. Boisterous chatter travelled from the numerous customers at the beach house, indoors and out. Dishing out smiles, I lowered glasses and meals to whoever ordered them. The summer sun was harsh on my skin. Watching other civilians frolicking across the sand and the ocean issued my envy. Technically, Chiaki and I were enjoying ourselves in the water before we'd been interrupted.

"Move your hands, wench."

I shifted my focus in the direction of the harsh remark. The fluffy bear suit contrasted the malicious scowl she wore. Nevertheless, the sight melted my heart.