45: Castella

All that encompassed my vision was spirals as I toddled outside of the greenhouse and into the school courtyard. I exhaled raggedly, willing my thumping heart and legs currently wobbling like jelly, to settle.

I was swooped into an inviting pair of limbs right as they gave in on me. Nori's timing was uncanny. He stabilized me, his suave smirk providing my heart another reason to pound.

"Why so antsy, Angel? You look like you're on the run."

If only this was something I could run from.

Countless issues bubbled to the surface of my mind, and I shouted the first thing that'd temporarily solve the majority of them.

"Hide me!"

"You've been so forward lately." He hauled me by the hips and leaned in until our noses themselves brushed. "Do you have a particular location in mind? I'll go anywhere if it means I can be with you."

Oh, right. This was the type of flirt Nori was. If I didn't drag him by the wrist, this exchange would extend forever.

"Follow me."

Yanking his sleeve, I scanned the premises and utilized a discreet path, zigzagging in the blindsight of other students until finally arriving at a secluded area with no worries for witnesses.

Nori chuckled when I freed him. "What crime have you committed to be so wary indeed."

Confirming once for all that the coast was clear of the villains responsible for the near-collapse of my heart, I peered ahead. Nori had taken a seat on the grass, his lunchbox decked out on his lap.

"Well, during times of strife, sweets come in handy, don't they?" He patted the spot next to him. "I brought some of the castella I baked last night. Share with me."

The mention of cake defenestrated any and all worries from my mind. Parallel to him in an instant, I sparkled like polished jewels. Nori's dessert? Yes, please!

"You'll really let me have some? The whole thing, even?"

"You love my confections that much?"

"Not just confections. Your cooking, too. Everything you make is all so heavenly. I can eat it forever!"

"Forever with you, huh?" The cool zephyr toppled his hair, a fond, small-scale smile curving his lips. "That doesn't sound bad at all. I'm curious, then. How would you rank me in comparison to Koyuki?"

"I love Koyuki's desserts too. His knowledge is limitless. But, after all, in terms of talent, you'd rank higher."

"I'm handsomer as well, correct? C'mon, Angel. Don't hold back on the compliments."

I laughed. When it boiled down to it, maybe Nori was easy to read. He found pleasure in being the centre of attention. Sure he was a womanizer, but he was gentlemanly and courteous. And although he quelled his boredom in flustering ways, deep down, his heart was as gold as his eyes. Even now, I so badly wanted to solve the riddle that constituted him.

"You've participated in countless baking competitions over the years, right?" I found myself asking for small talk. "I remember spotting numerous trophies and ribbons when I visited your house."

"I entered as a mere pastime," he admitted. "I'm glad, however, these skills can prove useful to you now."

"Pastime?"