wish it were me pt. 1

for prime reading experience, listen to "cherry" by my love harry styles (included above)

(Timothée's POV)

After months of hiding in my apartment and sheltering myself from the rest of the world, I finally decide it's time to get out. It's not easy, though; everything I see reminds me of her.

After Y/N and I broke up, I've become a shell of the man I used to be. I fucked up, big time. I do stupid things when I'm drunk, but even intoxicated, I should've known not to sleep with another girl. Especially when I had the most amazing girl waiting for me at home. Now I have to live with the regret and pain of losing the only woman I've ever truly loved every day for the rest of my life.

I drag myself out of bed and get ready, dressing in baggy sweatpants and an ugly sweatshirt. I don't bother trying to do my hair or wash my face. I eat a quick breakfast and head off to the the grocery store to get actual food that I can make myself, instead of having to order something every night. I choose to go to the grocery store because I would never expect Y/N to be there. She's a busy girl, with her job as a producer and all, and she would never be caught in the middle of a grocery store at noontime.

At least that's what I thought.

As I push my carriage slowly up and down the aisles, I see her. I smile at first, the only genuine smile I've had since we broke up.

She looks absolutely gorgeous. Her Y/H/C hair falls down her back, her beautiful eyes search the shelves for whatever item she is looking for. Her hands rest on her hips and she chews on her bottom lip, a habit she has when she's concentrating. It takes all I have in me not to run up to Y/N and wrap my arms around her.

But my smile quickly fades when he shows up. He's a tall guy with short, dark brown hair. His muscles are huge and his skin is tanned. When he comes to Y/N, he stands behind her and wraps his arms around her torso. He kisses the top of her head. When Y/N notices who it is, her signature smile appears on her face. She turns around to kiss him lightly on the lips.

My heart stings a little as I see them interact. I know it's been a long time, but it still kills me to see her that happy with someone else.

We used to be that happy.
We used to smile at each other like that.
We used to love each other.

Correction: I've always loved her. She just fell out of love with me. And rightfully so; she's too smart and talented and beautiful to stick around with a guy who cheats. But that doesn't make the heartbreak any less painful.

I see her perfect lips moving as she talks, and I can only imagine what she's saying to him. I just pray to God that she isn't calling him "baby." That's what she used to call me, and I can't bear the thought that she can address someone else the same way.

As I watch them hold each other from the opposite end of the aisle, I notice tears forming in my eyes, threatening to spill. Just watching her be so happy breaks my heart, not because I don't want her to be happy, but because I was the one who stole that happiness in the first place.

"Excuse me sir, I just need to get something right here," an elderly woman says to me, breaking me out of my trance. When I look over, she is watching me and pointing to a box on the shelf.

"Oh my dear! Are you okay?" she asks, noticing the tears in my eyes.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Reminiscing, that's all," I respond, looking back over to Y/N, who is laughing hysterically with her new boyfriend. I miss that laugh.

The elderly woman follows my eyes and notices that I'm watching Y/N.

"Is it an ex?" she asks.

"Yep."