13

Having his hands direct her aim didn't exactly help Alassëa's mind to focus back on the lesson she was meant to be having. If anything it distracted her more. She was rather naturally in tune and aware at the best of times. But right now all that she was aware of was the feeling of him being so close and the warmth which was radiating from such close proximity. Everything seemed to slow and grow silent then. The nearby river current did not seem to churn as loudly, and the calm cold breeze which was travelling through the bare trees didn't seem to moan and echo as much anymore. Even the mounds of snow which fell from tree branches didn't seem to make as much noise anymore. Everything had grown still and silent.

Even the chill in the air didn't seem to be as present as it once was. Though it did temporarily reappear when Bard's arms slowly moved from her own. Alassëa gave a natural shiver from losing the warmth, but it didn't disappear for long because he gently placed his hands on her waist. This action alone caught her off guard, and her guard all but disappeared when the gentle grip around her tightened ever so slightly and there was the most minor of tugs.

Lowering her arms she turned without a word and looked up at him, though everything deserved to be treated with respect, the bow at this point in time was rather rudely dropped to the floor and lost in the snow beneath them. Alassëa was not oblivious to realise that it was not just the children which had steadily grown used to her, and accepting her being in their home. Nor was she ignorant to the feelings which this acceptance came with. It stood for reason that their father would perhaps feel something similar.

It was for this reason which she tilted her head curiously to the side. There was a collective of emotions in his dark eyes, but she couldn't pin one specifically down. With a light frown which didn't last too long, Alassëa was more than certain the confused mixtures of emotions was returned. She for one had definitely – on more than one occasion – looked at him with a fondness which went beyond one of friendship, but she had quickly shook these thoughts and feelings from her head. Sure, she should feel something more for the man, he did after all save her life and give her a place to call home.

While Alassëa struggled with her general thoughts, Bard stood looking down at the woman before him with unblinking eyes. He could not for the life of him look away from her. He wasn't exactly certain with what had so suddenly come over him. Perhaps it was the way which the snow and greying light caused her naturally pale complexion to glow, he wasn't wholly sure whether this otherworldly being was truly before him. It was as if his body was acting on its own will, he wasn't putting up any resistance though as he took the initiative and slowly removed one hand from her waist and gently placed it against her neck. From there he could just about skim his thumb over her cheek, with his hand resting where it was Alassëa slowly leaned against it with her eyes slowly drawing to a close. She tentatively reached up and placed one of her hands against his forearm whereas the other simply held onto his coat.

Just as they drew closer, if that were even possible, the sounds of splashing from behind some bushes suddenly tore at the silence and ripped it away. The quiet content yet intimate bubble which they had enveloped themselves in suddenly burst and the reasons as to why they were both out here rather quickly came flooding back. Bard drew away from her perhaps a little too quickly, a hurt look flashed over Alassëa's face and in her eyes as she, with more ease stepped away and watched as he moved past her to collect the barrels. Looking down, she plucked the bow and lone arrow up off of the ground.

Turning and slotting it in place she sharply turned and aimed at the tree, her sights and aim perfect this time, and let the arrow fly. "Idiot." She whispered while watching as the arrow landed in the tree just above the other. It moved from the impact as she narrowed her eyes at it.

"Alassëa?" She turned at the sound of her name. Bard stood watching her, after a few seconds he nodded backwards. "Ready to go?"

"Yes," she turned away from him and went to retrieve the arrows. Pulling them with ease from the tree she walked in his direction, plucking the sack up as she went and then passed him. She didn't stop walking until she reached the barge, even then she was constantly walking around with a distant expression on her face.