32

Moving as one mass, the echoing synchronised footsteps of men and elves alike was all that could be heard in the morning air. Even the sounds of both elk and horse could hardly be heard either. The ground which they were all traversing was mud, thick and dark and already trampled by many feet. The imprints of which had been stepped in several times and now dark murky water was pouring into them. Soon this whole stretch of land would turn into a quagmire. But this didn't seem to sway anyone on their ever present mission.

Though they were steadfast in getting to Erebor, the dwarves within were ever steadfast against letting anyone in. Already their faces could be seen peering over the edge of the barricade which they had created. All looked as stern and uneasy as the other next to him at the sight which now sat on their doorstep.

Yet, despite his comrades seemingly being minutely affected by the elven army, and the few who rallied behind Bard, Thorin did not look like he cared much for them being present. His eyes narrowed as both leaders commenced their journey through the ranks until they were at the front.

As soon as they were close enough, he lifted his arms. Within his hands he held a bow, with ease he notched an arrow and without so much as a blink between the motions, he let the arrow fly.

It sailed silently through the air, the only sound it made was the cracking of the arrowhead against the stone ground. It easily intercepted the elk's continuation of moving forward, and caused the rider to falter and look upwards with a rather blank expression. Though really, Thorin wasn't expecting any less from Thranduil. Bard however seemed a little taken back by the apparent hostility which was so plainly shown. He glanced at the broken arrow on the ground then to Thranduil, he was too busy staring at Thorin, Bard soon followed suit and looked to the dwarf-King too.

"I will put the next one between your eyes." Thorin stated with a known surety to his voice. He evidently wasn't going to hold back on possible harming if it kept someone, anyone, away from his home. His words though lost and practically ignored by Thranduil, were taken on board and cheered over by Thorin's companions. They seemed all the more up for this actually happening. Though their cheers drew short and died in the chilled early morning air as Thranduil merely motioned to his army.

As one each golden plated elf moved with fluid swift motions. Hands pulled arrows out of quivers, and notched against the bowstring before being lifted and aimed towards those within the Mountain. There was the lightest trace of smug satisfaction on Thranduil's face as the dwarves – all apart from one – ducked down and hid behind the stone barricade. Thorin stubbornly remained aiming an arrow downwards, even though he was greatly outmatched.

Lifting up a hand, Thranduil motioned for his army to stand down. "We've come to tell you payment of your debt has been offered and accepted." Thranduil's voice travelled across the small space and reached the dwarves, who each in turn looked a little bemused by his words. By his side, Bard looked uncertainly from the Elvenking to Thorin to see what his reaction to this would be.

Naturally the reaction was sheer disbelief and confusion. He frowned lightly and his eyes narrowed down at them again. "Payment? I gave you nothing. You have nothing."

Thranduil didn't see the point of answering him here, so instead he glanced briefly to Bard. In that one look he took the hint. Looking down, he reached down to his inside pocket. Clutching onto the treasured object, Bard pulled his hand free from the material and lifted it up. The Arkenstone shone brilliantly in the morning light, and upon seeing it each expression on the dwarves went slack, though this was soon replaced by that earlier disbelief.

"We have this." Bard held his arm up and held his hand just so that the Arkenstone was fully facing the Mountain.

"They have the Arkenstone. Thieves! How came you by the heirloom of our house? That stone belongs to the King!" Kíli exclaimed and frowned darkly down at them. Beside him his uncle looked distantly down to the stone which was tossed and caught swiftly by Bard. Naturally seeing it being treated so flippantly caused Thorin's eyes to darken, even as Bard sent a casual smile their way.