29. Just give me a reason

"How long are you going to hide, cupcake?"

Damian was standing in front of me. Tyler was lying on the ground bruised and battered.

"Cara mia..." he called out.

"What will you do to save him?" Damian's evil laugh filled my ears as he shot Tyler.

"No," I couldn't reach him. I was being held back.

Suddenly, Tyler's face was morphed to Nate's.

"Too late," Damian shouted, as he raised his gun and pointed it at Nate.

"Noooooo."

I woke up with a start. Clutching the sheets closer to my chest, I pulled my legs closer and tried to control the sobs racking my body.

"It's just a dream. It's not real. I'm not there," I repeatedly whispered to myself, slowly calming myself.

Putting on one of Nate's shirts and shorts from his closet, I walked down to find Nate cooking breakfast in the kitchen. I walked up behind him and sat on the countertop, while he was busy pouring orange juice. He tilted his head slightly acknowledging my presence before flipping the toast on a plate. He turned around and handed me a plate and gave me a kiss.

"Good morning, beautiful," he muttered, standing between my legs. I pecked him on his cheek and took the plate, digging in almost instantly.

"Slow down, tiger," he laughed and handed me the orange juice.

"Shuf uf," I scoffed with my mouthful.

"Is it safe to open my eyes, yet?" Eli called with a hand covering his eyes.

"Go away, Eli," I muttered, annoyed.

"Someone is grumpy. Loverboy didn't satisfy you?" He replied with a teasing laugh, stealing my toast.

I swatted his hands away and mumbled incoherently. Raising his hands in mock surrender, Eli chuckled and walked towards the door.

"By the way, Zoe, the whole neighborhood could hear you last night." He ducked out before I could throw an apple at him.

"Urg. Stupid fucker!" I stabbed my waffles with my fork.

"Are you alright, babe?" Nate softly asked.

"Just peachy," I retorted sarcastically. "I'm sorry," I winced and sighed. I was overly emotional today.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" He pulled my chin up with his finger.

"I woke up alone. I didn't like it," I didn't let my eyes meet his as I blinked back tears.

He pulled me into a hug and stroked my hair.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I wanted to make you some breakfast, I didn't think."

I nodded against his chest and pulled back.

"There's something else, right? What is it?" He tried to pry.

Luckily, I was saved by my phone ringing. Izzie.

"Hey, Izz," I got off the counter and walked back to Nate's room.

"Zoe...I," her voice breaking a little.

"Izzie, what's wrong?" I asked suddenly feeling nervous. Izzie rarely cries.

"Zoe...it's nothing. Did I interrupt something? I'm so sorry," she replied frantically.

"Shut up, Izz. Are you at home?" I demanded, packing my things and changing into my clothes.