ix. And So It Begins

━━ chapter nine
and so it begins

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

━━Fiona would be lying if she said she was never nervous because right now, she felt terrified. As Bobby, one of their roommates gave them a ride to the border of the valley on Hannibal the elephant, Fiona clutched her necklace like it was her lifeline (well, because, technically, it is). She didn't want to admit that this would be her first quest. And while she was very determined to win (because when isn't she?), she felt like she was also going to fail it for everyone else, which is a very contradicting thought pattern and it only made her nerves worse.

She didn't want to fail her friends, her fellow legionnaires, her family ... this was her home, and it could be destroyed in a few days time. Fiona couldn't let that happen, and yet that annoying voice in the back of her mind kept whispering, but perhaps you will ...

Don't think like that, Fiona cursed herself. You will win, you will succeed, we will succeed.

They got off the elephant. Bobby wished them a safe journey. Hannibal wrapped the four questers with his trunk. Then the elephant taxi service headed back into the valley. Fiona took a deep breath, trying to keep a strong, confident and determined facade. She will win this.

Fingers tracing the bone pendant, she watched Percy turn to her, Hazel and Frank, as if looking for something upbeat to say.

A familiar voice said, "IDs, please."

A statue of Terminus appeared at the summit of the hill. The god's marble face frowned irritably. "Well? Come along!"

Fiona rolled her eyes, but did as she was told. Percy, however, frowned at the statue and let out, "You again? I thought you guarded the city."

(This boy━)

Terminus huffed. "Glad to see you, too, Mr Rule Flouter. Normally, yes, I guard the city, but for international departures I like to provide extra security at the camp borders. You really should've allowed two hours before your planned departure time, you know. But we'll have to make do. Now, come over here so I can pat you down."

"But you don't have━" Percy stopped himself, which was a very wise choice. "Uh, sure."

He stood next to Terminus, and he conducted a rigorous mental pat down. "You seem to be clean," he decided. "Do you have anything to declare."

"Yes," said Percy. "I declare this is stupid."

Fiona whacked him in the back of the head lightly. Stupid, cute, good-looking dork━ "Do you want to be shot into nothing?"

Percy let out a small, "Ow..." and rubbed the back of his head as Terminus let out a miffed, "Hmph! Probatio tablet: Percy Jackson, Fifth Cohort, son of Neptune. Fine, go. Fiona Midgrass, daughter of Pluto. Fine, you can go. Hazel Levesque, daughter of Pluto. Fine. Any foreign currency or━ahem━precious metals to declare?"

"No," she muttered.

"Are you sure?" Terminus asked. "Because last time━"

"No!"

"Well, this is a grumpy bunch," said the god. "Quest travellers! Always in a rush. Now, let's see━Frank Zhang. Ah! Centurion? Well done, Frank. And that haircut is regulation perfect. I approve! Off you go, then, Centurion Zhang. Do you need any directions today?"

"No. No, I guess not."

"Just down to the BART station," Terminus said anyway. "Change trains and Twelfth Street in Oakland. You want Fuitvale Station. From there, you can walk or take the bus to Alameda."