xxxv. Shrimpzilla

━━ chapter thirty-five
shrimpzilla

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

    ━━Fiona has accepted she'll never a good night sleep on this boat. Not that she ever got a good night sleep as a demigod━bad dreams and all━but at least she could eventually get through the night. On here, it was like every second she closed her eyes for rest, a monster was out to kill them, somehow Octavian found them, or the whole boat tipped to the side and Leo would scream out, "SORRY! THAT WAS ME!"

    The ship suddenly tilted to starboard and Fiona yelped awake, falling off the chair and onto the ground━and her knee screamed. Percy jolted up, almost doubling over, "What? What's going on━huh?"

    Fiona pulled herself to her feet, only for the boat to go backwards and she scrambled down. Managing to grab onto the desk, she took deep breaths, pushing through her pain to reach for her pugio. Turning to Percy, she asked, "Can you stand?"

     He frowned━he was still very muddled from all the power he had used earlier. "I ... I think ...?"

     She found his pen and chucked it to him. He caught it and took off the cap. Riptide sprung to full length and the two of them rushed to the doors. Opening them, Annabeth was already running down the hallway, breathless. "What is happening?" Fiona asked her, but she was just as clueless as she was.

    Following her was Sam and she didn't even tell him to stay down this time. With Jason, Frank and Piper in tow, they all ran as fast as they could to the top deck. Fiona cursed as she fell behind, her knee buckling. She growled and continued on, reaching out for the stair rails and pulling herself along back into a run. 

    They made it up the stairs.

     Percy yeled, "What's going?━GAH! Shrimpzilla!"

     He wasn't wrong. 

    The monster was as long as the Argo II━a cross between a giant shrimp and a cockroach, which made Fiona sick. It had a pink shell, a flat crayfish tail and many━many legs scraping the hull of the Argo II. It's head━a slimy pink face of an enormous catfish, gaped at them with a toothless maw and tentacles sprouting from each nostril. 

     Frank immediately ran to Hazel's side who clutched the rigging. Fiona knew that look in her eyes━like she had just jumped out of a flashback. She frowned. She thought they were over? Hazel gestured that she was all right, but Frank didn't look convinced.

     The monster rammed the ship again. The hull groaned. Annabeth, Piper and Jason tumbled to starboard and almost rolled over. Sam gaped up at the monster, his knees trembling. "Um ... hi, big boy━how's your day been?"

     "Sam, don't talk to the monster!" Fiona tugged him away, feeling a weird sense of protection over the young boy. Leo reached the helm, his hands flying across the controls. He toggled the oars, but cursed━they were jammed. 

     "How did it get so close?" Annabeth yelled, pulling herself up on one of the rail shields.

    "I don't know!" Hedge snarled. He looked around for his bat which had rolled across the quarterdeck. 

     Percy was still staring dumbly at the beast and she sighed and pulled him towards her and Sam. He was tired━more than tired. He couldn't take this monster on, but she was scared whether it would be more dangerous to head under deck.