xlii. A Roman Spectacular

━━ chapter forty-two
a roman spectacular

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

    ━━Silence fell over the room. All the machines ground to a halt, and even the wild animals had stopped growling. The two leopards paced over━still licking their lips from Piper's roast━and butted their heads affectionately against the god's legs. Mr D scratched their ears.

    "Really, Ephialtes," he chided. "Killing demigods is one thing. But using leopards in your spectacle? That's over the line."

    The giant made a squeaking sound. "This━this is impossible. D━D━"

    "It's Bacchus, actually, old friend," said the god. "And of course, it's possible. Someone told me there was a party going on."

    Percy was still a little gobsmacked. 

    Ephialtes's spear quivered. "You━you gods are doomed! Be gone, in the name of Gaea!"

    "Hmm..." Bacchus sounded unimpressed. So, nothing has changed there. He strolled through the ruined props, platforms and special effects. "Tacky," he waved his hand at a painted wooden gladiator, then turned to a machine that looked like an oversized rolling pin studded with knives. "Cheap. Boring. And this ..." he stopped at the rocket-launching contraption. "Tacky, cheap and boring. Honestly, Ephialtes. You have no sense of style."

    "STYLE?!" the giant's face flushed. "I have mountains of style. I define style. I━I━"

    "My brother oozes style," suggested Otis.

    "Yes! Thank you!"

    Bacchus stepped forward, and the giants stumbled back. "Have you two got shorter?" he asked.

    "Oh, that's low," growled Ephialtes. "I'm quite tall enough to destroy you, Bacchus! You gods, always hiding behind your mortal heroes, trusting the fate of Olympus to the likes of these."

    He sneered at Percy. He resisted the urge to wave back.

    Jason hefted his sword. "Lord Bacchus, are we going to kill these giants or what?"

    "Well, I certainly hope so," said Bacchus. "Please, carry on."

    Percy stared at him, anger starting to grow. "Didn't you come here to helP?"

    Bacchus shrugged. "Oh, I appreciated the sacrifice at sea. A whole ship full of Diet Coke. Very nice. Although, I would've preferred Diet Pepsi."

    Percy clenched his hands, "And six million in gold and jewels," he grumbled.

    "Yes, although with demigod parties of five or more the gratuity is included, so that wasn't necessary."

    "What?"

    "Nevermind. At any rate, you got my attention. I'm here. Now, I need to see if you're worthy of my help. Go ahead. Battle. If I'm impressed, I'll jump in for the grand finale."

     Percy wanted to put his sword into Bacchus's chest or knock his stupid pinecone off it's spear. "We speared on," he said. "Dropped the roof on the other. What do you consider impressive?!"

    "Ah, a good question ..." Bacchus tapped his thyrsus. Then he smiled in a way that made Percy think, Uh-oh, I should have just kept my mouth shut. "Perhaps you need inspiration! The stage hasn't been properly set. You call this a spectacle, Ephialtes? Let me show you how it's done."