xi. Rainbows Muffins

━━ chapter eleven
rainbow muffins

✿✼:*゚:༅。.。༅:*・゚゚・⭑

     ━━Percy was gods damn heavy. His much taller height slumped against Fiona's short five-foot-three self, and she growled a bunch of curses to his stupid son of Neptune ass as she lugged him towards the convenience store. She hoped none of those snakes would jump out at her, fangs bared. Her pugio wasn't a long-range weapon━she wouldn't be able to attack them from a distance. Luckily, they were getting close to the convenience store and were yet to have a meeting with one of Polybotes snakes. Fiona didn't know how she'd be able to fight anyway with a six-foot loser leaning on her.

    They were twenty yards from the porch when something hissed in the grass behind them.

    "Go!" Frank yelled.

    Startled, Percy stumbled. Fiona quickly caught him, muttering a, "Whoa, hold it there Barnacle-Blue," as Hazel helped her and Percy across the long grass. Behind them, Frank turned and nocked an arrow.

    He shot blindly. An orange flare burst through the grass and illuminating the monster. Sitting in a patch of withered yellow grass was a lime-coloured snake. Its head was ringed with a mane of spiky white fins. The creature stared at the arrow zipping by, startled.

    They reached the steps of the store, climbing up. Frank was yet to follow them. Hazel called over her shoulder, "Frank! Come on!"

    The snake sprang at him. It sailed through the air so fast, there wouldn't be any time for him to nock an arrow. Frank just swung his bow and smacked the monster down the hill. It spun out of sight with a, "Screeeeee!"

    Fiona would be very proud of Frank (yes, she's being honest!), but instead felt a sharp pang of fear in seeing his bow steaming where it had touched the snake. Frank yelped and let go, watching in disbelief as the wood crumbled to dust. There was an outraged hiss, answered by two more hisses further downhill.

    He ran for the proch, and Fiona, Percy and Hazel pulled him up the steps. He was lucky, just getting out of the way in time. All three monsters circled in the grass, breathing fire and turning the hillside brown with their poisonous touch. Fiona narrowed her eyes at them, trying to figure out what the beasts were and how to stop them.

    "We'll never get out of here," said Frank miserably.

    "Then we'd better go in," Hazel pointed to the hand-painted sign over the door: RAINBOW ORGANIC FOODS & LIFESTYLES.

    "Oh, no, please don't tell me it's a hippy shop..." whined Fiona, but she followed her friends inside.

    As soon as they stepped through the door, the shop lit up in light. Flute music started up like they had walked onto a stage. Fiona scrunched her nose at the smell of insence, eyeing the wide aisles lined with bins of nuts and dried fruits, baskets of apples, and cothing racks with tie-dyed shirts and gauzy TInker Bell-type dresses. She heard the cling clang music of wid chimes above, hanging from the roof. Along the walls, glass cases displayed crystal balls, goedes, macramé dream catchers and a bunch of other hippy stuff. Fiona glowered, feeling like she was being outed for being violent and unhealthy just by walking in here. She's healthy, okay?! She eats her vegetables and fruit, just because she doesn't like whole-grain toast doesn't mean she's going to get diabetes!

    "Fortune-teller's shop?" Frank wondered.

    "Hope not," Hazel muttered.

    Percy leaned agianst Fiona, and she quickly went to hold him, because a six foot Percy Jackson would definitely crush a tiny Fiona Midgrass if crashing down on her with no way of stopping. He looked worse than ever; face glistened with sweat and looking like he had just caught the plague or something. Fiona's anger and annoyance all immediately flooded away and was replaced with worry. "Sit down ..." he muttered. "Maybe water."