Chapter 7: getting stuck in the maze

*Y/n POV*
We were so close to being back in the glade, probably about 20 minutes. Minho and I were racing and I was winning. I turned a corner, but instead of continuing to run, I froze in fear. Standing no less than six feet away from me was a griever.

I've never seen one in person before until now, and it was even more horrifying than I imagined. It was ginormous and slimy. It had a body almost like an abnormally sized bug, and metal spider like legs. It had a tail like a scorpion, also made of metal, and then that's when I saw it. The stinger. Almost as soon as I'd noticed it, it was inside of my abdomen, right near my lungs.

The griever then pulled the stinger out and made whatever you could call the horrible sound it makes, and crawled away, leaving me screaming in pain on the ground.

*Minho's POV*
Y/n and I were racing through the maze as we made our way back to the glade. I let her get a bit ahead of me to make her feel better since I always beat her, although I was just gonna speed up and beat her at the end anyways. I watched as she turned the corner into a different section of the maze. And I quickly took a second to catch my breath and take a sip of water.

Then out of no where, I heard a bloodcurdling scream, then right after, a griever. I already knew what happened but I was really hoping I was wrong. The second I heard her scream I panicked and dropped my water on the ground sprinting around the corner towards y/n.

She was laying in the dirt shaking with her eyes squeezed shut and tears streaming down her face, as she took short, rigid breaths. I looked up and saw the griever that had done this to her running down the corridor, but I wasn't worried about that, I was focused on y/n.

"Oh my gosh...." I said while examining her body searching for injuries.
"Where'd it sting you?" She pointed to the side of her abdomen. I gently lifted her shirt to where she pointed, careful not to hurt her, when I saw the sting. My eyes widened when I saw it. The sting itself was definitely infected, and there were veins that had turned black shooting from all sides of the wound. It looks more than painful to say the least.

"M-min- Minho..." she said while grabbing onto my arm with her trembling hands.
"...it h-hurts s-so bad..." she sobbed. At that moment I felt like breaking down in tears. She was in so much pain, and it was my fault. I was supposed to protect her, and I didn't, now she's hurt.

"I know, I know. You're gonna be alright. You're gonna be fine. I'm gonna get you back to the glade so the medjacks can help you." I choked out trying to hold back my tears. My best friend had just gotten stung and if I had just stayed near her like I'd normally done, maybe it wouldn't have happened. Maybe I could've protected her.

"I'm gonna pick you up ok? This might hurt a little." I warned. She nodded her head and wrapped her arms around my neck and leaning into me as I scooped her up. She tensed and cried out in pain and I winced at the pain in her voice.
"Sorry." I mumbled.
"I-it's fine." She managed to say, still taking rigid breaths because of the closeness of the wound to her lungs. As soon as she was secure in my arms, I began running. I ran as fast as I could through the maze to find the exit. The sky was now almost pitch black, and I knew that this meant there were only a few minutes until the doors closed, but I couldn't give up, not yet.

Every time I quickened my pace I heard y/n groan in pain.
"We're almost there. You're ok. It's ok. Just hold on a little longer ok?"
"I...I can't." she mumbled as her eyes began to close and her grip loosened from around my neck.

Forbidden love: A Minho Maze Runner ImagineOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara