Chapter 8: making it back

*No ones POV*
"Great job Thomas, you just killed yourself." Minho said.
"What?" Thomas replied in a shaky voice.
"No one's ever survived a night in the maze, so you better start counting your minutes, because we probably don't have many left." Minho replied dryly.

He began walking over to your fragile, injured body that was lying on the ground. He gently caressed your cheek looking at you with worry.

"Please be ok...I need you to be ok. I'm so sorry I got you stuck in here, but I promise I'm gonna get you out alive." Minho said to you, or more to himself since you were unconscious, allowing for a few tears to fall.

"What happened to her?" Thomas asked crouching down on the other side of you. Minho quickly wiped away his tears and picked you up, putting you over his shoulder.

"She got stung."
"Stung? By what?"
"A griever. Didn't Alby explain this stuff to you already?"
"Yeah I just- never mind. Anyways, what do we do?"
"We run. Try not to die. And most of all, we keep her safe. She's in critical condition, and has been going in and out of consciousness, but we have to make sure she stays alive." Minho said seriously, pointing to you and walking away from his previous spot with Thomas close behind.

They ran through the maze trying to avoid any grievers, while sometimes stoping to hide in some vines as a griever passed.

*time skip to right before the maze doors open*

"C'mon we're almost there hurry!" Minho yelled at Thomas trying to get him to hurry up. It was almost daylight which meant that the maze doors would be opening anytime soon, but last night when they were running through the maze, they'd managed to get pretty far away from their starting spot, causing the run back to take a while.

"I'm coming I'm right behind you!" Thomas yelled back, but he abruptly stopped in his tracks.

""Do you hear that?" he mumbled. Minho continued to run but then noticed Thomas wasn't there and turned around.
"Why'd you stop running greenie?! We gotta go!"

"No I heard something....I think it's a-"

"Griever!" Minho yelled cutting him off as he saw a griever in the distance.

"What do we do!?"
"Run!"

The two boys ran through the maze, still running in the direction of the glade, but not close enough to see it. Worry raced through Minho's mind as he thought about all the ways this situation could end.

He would never admit it, he was the keeper of the runners after all, but the maze scared him to death. He was always worried that he would never find a way out and that they'd be stuck in here forever and it'd be all his fault. But at the moment, he was worried that they'd never make it out.
There was a griever chasing them, and you were slowly dying, no matter how much he tried to deny it he knew it was true, not to mention Thomas was now in here and had absolutely no idea what he was doing, or so he thought.

"Hey Minho! I got an idea!"

"What? What the shuck are you doing Thomas you're gonna get yourself killed!" Minho yelled at him watching him turn around and run the opposite direction. The maze walls had been shifting the entire time they'd been running back to the glade, and Thomas had the idea that if he could get the griever to follow him as the walls shifted, then it would get stuck. To his and Minho's surprise, his plan worked.