Chapter 7

The next few next few weeks were the exact same. I worked Monday through Friday, 7am-12pm and then 2pm-10pm. Then on Saturday nights, I hung out with Collin and some of his buddies from the police force. Sunday's, I stayed home and relaxed, pampered myself. I'd become great friends with some of the members of the club, they all became family very quickly. It was going great! Everything was amazing...

Every day, Jonah spent his evenings in the back of the bar, nursing a Jim Bean, and then followed me home when I got off. He never spoke a word, never got too close. This had gone on for weeks, and every night, his face appeared in my dreams.

One day, the Alpha called a meeting with the whole pack, calling us all into the bar, as it was the only place big enough to hold us all. I had been working, so I just moved to the side while he spoke.

"Alright everyone! ANNOUNCEMENT!!" He bellowed as the pack got silent. "We had a meeting with the Serpent Sons yesterday. Since we refused to give up our land and resources, they've made a threat against us and our women... your mates specifically."

The entire room erupted into roars, signifying their anger. I froze in place, terrified of what could possibly happen to me. I saw Jonah sitting alone in the corner, his hands clenched into tight fists, a furious expression on his face. I don't know what come over me. I couldn't tell you even today what possessed me to  do it. I didn't even think before I ran to his side, sliding into his booth and tucking myself under his burly arm. I felt him go rigid before his arm tightened around me. Suddenly, that arm tightened a little more and I was drug into Jonah s lap, his face dangerously close to mine. His large hand came up, pushing my head into the crook of his neck, forcing me to inhale his deep musky scent. I wrapped my arms around his neck, holding on like my life depended on it, and at that moment, it felt like it did. I could feel the stares of those around us, no one ever touched the Hellhound, and he didn't allow anyone close to him. But here he was, holding this girl so tight, it seemed he was afraid she would vanish if he let go.

The Alpha was still talking to the pack, "I don't want anyone going anywhere alone. Ever. Especially the women. If you have to go to town, we go in numbers, and always travel armed. We can not take any chance. All businesses can close early today to prepare for lock down. Dismissed"

Jonah immediately stood, keeping one hand on my butt, and the over wrapping my legs around his waist. He held me tightly, inhaling into my neck before setting me down on the booth and saying sternly," wait right here. Don't move." The loss of contact made me whimper, but I did as I was told. Jonah had walked over to the Alpha and was whispering, so I couldn't make out what was being said, but the shocked look on Alpha's face made me wonder. They kept glancing over at me before the Alpha finally nodded and shook Jonah's hand. Jonah came back over and grabbed my hand tightly, pulling me up to follow him. We went outside and to another building, going down into the basement. It was cold down there. He opened up a door to reveal a small bedroom and bathroom; this must've been his little room. He sat me on his bed while he started packing clothes into a large military style duffel bag, along with toiletries. While he did this, I looked around his room before my eyes landed on a black hoodie on the floor, the club logo on the back. I smiled and picked it up, inhaling his scent, before pulling it on over my uniform shirt. I was freezing!

"I'm going to be staying with you for awhile. With this threat on us, I cant let you be alone and unguarded. We would stay here, but there's not much room for two people...I can't let -" Jonah stopped in his tracks when he turned around and found me in his jacket. I blushed at the intensity in his eyes and began to take it off before he stopped me. "No... keep it. Looks better on you anyway. Let me grab my blankets for the couch, and I'll be ready."

"No, no. You can just sleep in my bed. The couch is way too small for you.... you're really tall... and the bed is plenty big enough for us both. No sense in you sleeping on the couch." I said urgently. To be honest, I didn't feel safe sleeping alone with the impending danger.

Jonah thought for a second before nodding and setting down the other blankets. He picked up his bulging bag and reached out a hand to help me up. I took it gratefully and allowed him to lead me out the door. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, pulling me into his side, growling and snapping at anyone who got to close as we walked home to my cabin. He was on edge, like an animal who's territory had been threatened.

Once we got into the house, I stoked the fire back till it was roaring back to life. Then, I lead Jonah into the bedroom and had him wait on the bed while I pushed all my clothes in the closet to one side and made all my other clothes fit into two of the four dresser drawers. I left him to unpack and get settled while I made some dinner. We had left so quickly, I didn't have time to put in an order to bring home. So, loaded potato soup it was then.

Pulling out my instant pot, I mixed together a can of cream of chicken soup, 3 cups of chicken broth, salt, pepper, some butter, and several diced and peeled potatoes and poured it in. Setting it to 10minutes, I mixed together some milk, a little flour, and some cheese. I heard the shower come on, and I smiled to myself, glad he felt comfortable enough to relax a little. Once my timer went off, I poured in the second mixture and set it for 4minutes. By the time it has cooked and depressurized, Jonah had gotten out of the shower and joined me in the kitchen, now dressed in a pair of dark grey sweats and a long sleeve blue shirt. His long mowhawk was flipped to the side, still damp from his shower. I portioned out two bowls and gave him one, moving us to set by the wood stove to be warmer.

"So what do we do now?" I asked between bites of soup.

"Tomorrow I'll install a better lock on that door. Lily..... I can't let anything happen to you. I don't know what you've done to me... to make me so attached to you. I'm supposed to be the Hellhound, and here I am sounding more like Heavens puppy. " Jonah said frustrated, setting his now empty bowl on the coffee table.

I giggled and ruffled his hair. "I like it. My personal guard dog. Just promise me something...." I said barely above a whisper. "Just don't hurt my heart....."

"Anything for you, Lily. Anything."

———————————
Abrupt ending, I know. But my word count was 1234 and I couldn't pass that up.