Chapter 9

When I woke up, everything was quiet. I wasn't in as much pain as before, just sore. I groaned as I opened my eyes, turning to see where I was. I was in my bed.

    "Lily? Can you hear me?" A voice said. I opened my eyes to see the Alpha sitting beside me, holding my hand. I nodded and cleared my dry throat. He reached over and handed me a black yeti tumbler with the straw and held it as I sipped the cold water inside.

    "What happened, sir? All I remember is running into a Serpent Son named Viper and some of his men and they attacked.. then you showed up", I mumbled softly.

    "You don't remember that guy stabbing you in the ribs? After he slammed your head into the the wall, and when he saw me pull up, he stabbed you.... guess he hoped to take out a Rider. Guess he didn't know who's girl you were either..." Alpha sent a wink and a smirk. I blushed, as I knew he was talking about Jonah.

    "We..... we aren't together. I mean we share a bed, but that's all. That's why I was fighting with Collin and why I was by myself. I'm sorry sir..", I said ashamed and looked away.

    "Lily... Lily it's not your fault. Sure, you should've taken someone with you, but no one could've known the Serpents were that close", Alpha said while squeezing my hand. "I should call Jonah... he's out on a rampage trying to find the ones who did this." With that, he pulled out his phone and put it on speaker, calling Jonah.

"What! Unless it's about my mate, leave me the hell alone!!"  The Hellhound's voice rang out. You could always tell who was in control.... Jonah or the Hellhound inside.

Alpha just chuckled and handed me the phone. I took it and smiled, "My hellhound.... I missed you...".  Jonah hung up quickly. I looked at the phone and handed it back to Alpha. "I think he's coming.."

Within 20 minutes, the door to my room burst open, nearly off the hinges. The Alpha stood, moving out of his way. He stood staring at me before making long strides across the room. As soon as he got near, he grabbed my face and kissed me hard. He grabbed me up, holding me tight against his chest. The grip made me whimper in pain; he let me go immediately, apologizing profusely. I just giggled and pulled him down to sit next to me, leaning into his chest.

    "So... I'm your mate now huh?" I said teasingly, though inside I was praying for it to be true.

    "You always have been. Since day one. You've always belonged to me", he growled lowly, tightening his grip on my waist, making shivers run down my spine. If he kept that up, there would be more than cuddling tonight.

    "Darlin, that night on the we waited for you to come home... he told me then that you were his mate. He's threatened every other male away from you ever since." The Alpha chuckled while sending a wink my way. "I'll just be leaving you two alone. My guess is y'all have a lot to talk about. Make sure you keep her stab wound clean. Change the dressing before bed and as soon as she wakes up. And you young lady.... I don't wanna see you at work till you're 100% better. Understood?

    "Yes sir. And sir? Thank you... for saving my life. You've been like the father I never really had. Thank you." I said, standing and hugging him tight. Alpha returned it just as tightly, kissing the top of my head, which earned a growl from the Hellhound. I returned back to my spot on his lap, his arms immediately wrapping around me, securing me to his chest.

"I'm glad you feel that way. My wife passed before we could have children. When I first met you, I felt like you were the daughter we were never able to have. Guess that's why I feel so protective over you. At least I know you'll be safe with this mutt", he laughed, patting Jonah on the shoulder. "Just glad you're ok. Y'all get some sleep. I'll stop by tomorrow sometime to check on ya." With that, the Alpha left Jonah and I alone to talk.

"You think I could take a hot bath? I'm sore all over and really want a bubble bath...", I looked up, giving him my best begging face. It only resulted in an eye roll from Jonah.

    "The doc said not to submerse your wound yet. Only showers." He said, glancing at the large bandage across my ribs. I could tell he was nervous. My ribs were still hurting, and I was tired.

"On second thought, maybe we should just talk. There seems to be a lot that's happened lately". I blushed sheepishly. Jonah had a slight blush to his cheeks as well as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Yeah... yeah we do..Lily, I can't have you. I'm not a good person. They call me the Hellhound for a reason. I've killed people. Lots of people. I know when I tell you my life, you'll run as far away as possible", Jonah said as he looked away ashamed. He really thought I could run away from him now? He was tugging at his hair, frustrated with himself. Instead of speaking, I just crawled into Jonahs lap and leaned into his chest, playing with his hands.

"You can tell me anything. I'm not going anywhere. You're pretty much stuck with me", I said with a smile, kissing his knuckles on one hand. He was so handsome.

Jonah sighed and began his story. "My parents fought a lot when I was growing up. Mainly about money, or me. I tried to be a good kid, and when I was old enough to start working at 15, I got a job working on small engines at a garage near my house. So I was self sufficient, I wanted less stress on my parents so that they would stop fighting. Hell, I even paid them rent...well it wasn't good enough".Jonah held me a little tighter and I just listened.
"When I was 16, they divorced. Mom ran off with some rich guy and never looked back. Dad started drinking taking it out on me. He beat the ever lovin' shit outta me and just leave me there on the floor in my own blood. I dealt with it till i was 18.. one night while he was passed out, I stole his truck and drove as far as I could till it broke down here. The Alpha found me and took me in... it saved my life, but turned me into what I am today.. the Hellhound. My ruthlessness gave me my reputation and it's all I've got," Jonah said with a sad smile. I could tell he needed a good cry, so I just turned so I was straddling his lap and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him down to cuddle.

"I'm sorry that happened to you. You deserve so much better, Jonah. I know the Hellhound is a part of you, but I also know it doesn't make you who you are. You're my Jonah. A big over protective teddy bear..... that likes bubble baths ", I winked and giggled. His head shot up in a shocked expression. "I came home early on lunch one day and saw you. It's ok! Everyone needs time to relax sometimes. Was nice, wasn't it."

"Yeah... we need more of those bubbles too." He grinned sheepishly, a blush creeping across his cheeks. God, how can someone be so cute! "Alright, now it's your turn..."

"I don't know if you'll stay though. It's pretty messed up, and I don't want you to get mad", I said quietly. He just rolled his eyes and picked me up, laying me down on the bed and laying so he was facing me, holding my hands.

"Alright... here goes then. When I was 8......"

————————————————
Sorry this is late. It was a busy busy day yesterday.