Chapter One - Shoot to Kill

A/N – Hello to anyone reading. This story is my New Year's goal to help me get back into writing which is honestly my favorite thing to do. So I hope you enjoy and please remember to vote and comment if you're enjoying the story 😊

***

I lean against the door of the truck with my arms crossed, tapping my fingers against the cool metal of the vehicle.

"It's taking too long," I murmur quietly, straining to catch a glimpse of light from the dark road ahead of us.

"They're only a little late," a voice from beside me reminds me. I glance over to my right, my nerves fading a little when I see my companion's calm expression.

I run my hands over my jacket fighting the urge to shiver as the wind brushes past me, "This girl we're collecting," I pause here trying to find the right words, "Connor tell me she knows what she's getting into."

Connor snorts from beside me, "Seriously Al, would we be here if she didn't?" he questions me.

I huff at his causal dismissal, "Yes seriously," I counter, "considering the last couple of people Remy has brought us seemed to be a little bit hesitant when they found out," my words are cut short by the appearance of a thin strand of light coming from the road ahead of us.

As the light gets closer, I can just make out two figures. The taller, bulkier figure I recognize as Remy so that made the shorter slimmer figure the girl we were here for. She has a backpack over her shoulder and her long hair is blown out behind her.

It doesn't take long before they were before us, Connor and Remy greet each other with a bear hug and the girl studies them nervously. Her eyes are darting all around us, both of her hands cling to the backpack ready to bolt at any second. They settle on me and I give her a comforting smile.

"Al," Remy greets me hands outstretched. I roll my eyes at his jovial expression and walk into his arms.

"Long time no see," I mumble into his jacket, "how's the city?" I ask as I step back.

"Shit," Remy spits out, "but I'm sure Roxy can tell you more about that," he nods towards the girl next to him.

"That's no joke," the girl mutters a bitter undercurrent in her voice.

"Well, you're out now," Connor tells her, "I'm Connor, this is Al and we'll be taking you from here," he informs her.

She nods, "Roxy nice to meet you," she greets us her voice quiet, hesitant.

Connor pulls open the back door of the truck for her, "We need to leave," he says.

The girl, Roxy, nods again, "Thank you," she says quietly to Remy.

Remy nods with a smile, "You're welcome, you'll be safe with Connor and Al, getting people to safety is pretty much their job," he informs her.

I wait to watch Roxy climb into the car before getting in myself. Connor shares a few quick words with Remy before making his way to the driver's side.

The car starting up on the empty road sounds like thunder to my ears. It always makes me tense this moment right before we get away. Then in moments it is over, and we are moving along the road and away from the sprawling city behind us.

"Where are we going?" Roxy questions from behind us, despite heading away from the city her nerves seemed far from passing.

"We have a camp quite a way up, in the forest," Connor answers, his words vague. It took us while to trust new people. That was a lesson we had learnt the hard way.