Chapter Ten - Arrival

I awaken to a rush of cool air. My eyes open slowly, tiredly as my mind seeks to catch up to my situation. Its dark in the car and dark outside, though I catch a glint of bright light to the side of me. I avoid looking in that direction, no need to blind myself just yet.

"If you're too lazy to get out, I'm not opposed to carrying you," Roman threatens, his voice breaking through my tired mind.

I turn to him, squinting as my eyes attempt to adjust the light I had been avoiding. He's standing beside the open car door, behind him I can see a large porch, light emanating from the windows decorating a large house. If house is the right word for it. I blink as my eyes continue to adjust, unsurprised that werewolves got to live in the lap of luxury. I reach down to grab my backpack and am terrified to find that it is gone. In a panic I jerk my body forward desperately grasping at air in the hope my backpack would materialize. I curse myself for falling asleep so deeply. All I needed to do was keep that backpack close enough until I could find a safe place to hide my dagger. Roman hasn't said a word, even though he must know the reason for my worry, he offers no explanation.

"Where's my backpack?" I finally ask, training my attention back on him.

"I had Ryan take it in," Roman says with a shrug before adding, "though based on your reaction I'm starting to wonder whether I should have had him search it."

I curse myself again, why did I have to make it so obvious that it was important? I blame my sleep covered fuzzy mind for my error.

"Why not?" I snap back at him scowling, "you've already violated my freedom, why not my privacy as well?"

"Tempting but I'm not sure I'd appreciate the effect it might have on you; you look terrible enough as it is in fact," he pauses here to step forward invading my personal space.

I wiggle away from him but there's only so far I can go before I'm trapped. He doesn't do anything sinister instead he places his hand gently against my forehead. Instinct makes me knock it away.

"Can you move?" I snap at him, "I'm sure there's a bed inside that monstrosity that you call a house waiting for me."

Roman steps back from clearing a way for me to finally get out of the car, "So eager to get to my bed," he comments as I jump out.

I roll my eyes at him taking a few seconds to steady my feet, "Don't flatter yourself."

"I think you should be the one who's flattered that I'd let you anywhere near my bed in your current state," he counters closing the door behind me.

I stare upwards at the massive building in front of me. Maybe homestead would be a better word for it. The building was gigantic and honestly, I hated it. I turn my attention away from it and back to Roman with a forced smile.

"I think we both know that only one of us wants to share a bed and it definitely isn't me," I say to him letting him lead me towards the house.

Roman laughs and I roll my eyes but secretly I feel pleased when he doesn't reply. As if I have won something. It helps take my mind off my fear and nervousness. Off the raging headache and swirling nausea threatening to render me helpless.

Roman opens the door for me and I take a deep breath to steady myself before stepping inside. It's a grand entranceway like those fancy houses are shown having in movies but nobody actually has.

"Take a moment," Roman comments from behind me, "I know proper interior decorating isn't exactly your style," he teases.

I hardly hear his words as I struggle to decide where to look, at the polished wooden floor, the paintings on the wall, the expensive furnishings. The places feels cold to me, there's no warmth here, no sign that its someone's home. A new bout of nausea rings through me and I turn to steady myself on the nearest surface. Which just happens to be Roman's arm.