Chapter Twenty - Three - Who I Am

By the time Brett has finished getting me ready I almost didn't recognize myself. I was dressed in a simple golden dress that managed to accentuate curves I hadn't even known I had. Brett had opted to keep my natural curls just styled and a hell of lot more controlled as usual.

"Who knew you could actually look half decent," Brett comments from behind me causing me to frown.

I study my reflection in the mirror suddenly nervous. Maybe dinner would spontaneously be cancelled, and I could curl back into my bed and overthink my entire situation again.

A knock at the door draws my attention away from my reflection in time to see Roman step through the door. He looks good as per usual. His clothes are slightly more formal than usual, with a deep blue blazer than seems to bring out the ice in his eyes. He studies me as I study him and as our eyes met I see a smirk grace his lips.

"You'll do," he says.

I roll my eyes at his words unsurprised at the lack of a compliment. "You look nice Al. Oh thanks Roman you look nice too," I mutter as I make my way over to him.

"Didn't realize you were that needy," Roman replies causing me to roll my eyes again, "but alright you look great."

"Doesn't really hit the same when you've been told to say it."

Roman shares a last look with Brett which I can now recognize as a conversation between the two of them before ushering me out the door.

"Thanks Brett," I call out before Roman closes the door behind us.

Brett may have one hell of an attitude, but she seemed like she was worth getting on side. Or at least I didn't want her to hate me. Besides I was also kind of impressed by her.

The pack house is quiet as we make our way through it, Roman is silent as well. He looks deep in thought, maybe about whatever this meeting was about. Which just reminds me how nervous I was about it. I had never thought I'd be in the same room with three Alphas, let alone having dinner with them pretending we weren't enemies.

"Roman," I stop him mid-step by laying a hand on his arm, just as we leave the house, "I really don't want to go."

Roman removes my hand from his arm interlocking our fingers and giving it a gentle squeeze. He uses his free hand to tuck a rebellious strand hair from my face. "That's completely understandable," he says giving me a small smile. He leans closer to me his face a mere inches from mine and I'm almost sure that he's going to kiss me and I'm almost sure I wouldn't mind. At the last second though he moves to the left and whispers into my ear, "But I'm pretty sure that I told you this morning that you were coming whether you want to or not."

"You're such an asshole," I snap at him pushing him away from me and snatching my hand free, wishing he didn't have the power to make me so flustered.

Roman laughs clearly pleased with himself which just manages to annoy me more. If this was any indication of how tonight was going to go, it was going to suck for me.

I climb into the car determined that I wouldn't talk to Roman for the entirety of the trip. Though I wasn't entirely sure if that would even bother him or not. In fact, if I really wanted to bother Roman asking continual questions would probably be the ticket.

"Are you going to tell me what this meeting is about?" I question Roman as he starts the engine.

"Its not a meeting Al, it's a dinner," Roman replies still wearing his usual smug smirk.

I fight the urge to roll my eyes once more, "Fine then are you going to tell me why we're having dinner with two other Council Alphas?"

"Al, I know you're new to civilised society, but I thought surely even you would know that sometimes people have dinner together as a form of socialising."