Chapter Twenty-Seven - Sharing

I'm not sure what awakens me in the evening. To be honest I couldn't even remember falling asleep. Not that it surprises me, given the lack of sleep last night and the overwhelming stress and guilt, rest was something I was probably in desperate need of. I look around my surroundings in confusion feeling thrown to find myself not in the familiar cabin but in Roman's room instead. I frown feeling a surge of annoyance that not only had he brought me here but that I couldn't remember it happening.

I roll over to the edge of the bed placing my feet on the ground, cringing as I felt my head begin to throb. A headache was just what I needed. My mind drifts back to the events of the afternoon and I wish I could erase them from my memory.

Connor had made a few calls supervised by Roman of course and then I sort of got side-lined. Roman didn't trust me, Connor didn't trust me, nobody did. Not that I could blame them I had been playing both sides for a while now and I wasn't even sure I knew where I stood anymore. It seemed like the longer this war went on the more everyone fighting it turned into monsters, wolves and humans alike.

I shake my head chasing those thoughts away. I was tried of having this endless debate with myself. Because no matter how long I thought about it I could never find the right answer. Roman had told me that him and Connor had devised a plan to get Asteria away safely while also making it look like the rogues were solely responsible for the abduction. And much to my surprise Roman had promised to keep most of the resistance's involvement from Kane and the other Council Alphas. Apparently, he wanted them to focus on the rogue problem for now. Which was good news for the resistance since it gave them time to regroup and reorganize.

I blink slowly my eyes finally adjusting to the dark. I rub my temples trying to will my headache away. I wish Roman was back already because then I would at least know what had happened. Know that everyone was safe. Connor, Jack, Kelsey, everyone.

"Al," the sound of my name makes me jump in fright.

That was Roman's voice and on instinct my eyes search the room trying to find the source of the sound. An activity doomed to fail given the lack of light. Though even without being able to see I could make an educated guess on where Roman was.

I stand slowly carefully making my way across the room hoping that my memory proved true and there were no obstacles between me and my destination.

"Ow," I curse as my foot connects with the wooden leg of the couch I had been aiming for.

I jump up and down cursing myself as I wait for the pain in my toe to pass. The sound of laughter coming from the couch is unfortunately totally expected.

"Shut up," I snap.

Between the pain in my foot, my headache and just general irritability I was not in the mood for Roman to be well Roman.

"You didn't want to ask me to turn on a light?" Roman asks as light floods our immediate area making me wince in surprise.

I narrow my eyes when I see the floor lamp beside the couch Roman was lazily stretched out on, a tired smirk gracing his lips as he regards me in the light.

"And you couldn't have done that when I was making my way over here?" I retort grumpily, crossing my arms as I resisted the urge to slap him.

"I could have," Roman replies with a shrug pulling himself into a sitting position slowly patting the spot next to him in invitation.

I roll my eyes coming around the other side of the couch so I can sit as far from him as possible. I lean back against the side of the couch bringing my knees up to my chin and wrapping my arms around them, so I have a clear view of Roman.