Chapter Twenty-Six - Traitors

Hi everyone, 

I know its been a really long time between updates and I apologize profusely for that. Life has been pretty crazy and while I'd like to promise that updates will be weekly I know last time I promised that it sort of fell through. So I'm going to do my very best to keep the updates coming as frequently as possible. 

So thanks for anybody out there still supporting this story. 

And apologies again for the long wait between updates. 

*

The early afternoon sun was lulling, almost enough to send me to sleep if I could forget why we were here. Roman is quiet contemplative as he sits patiently in the driver's seat. His eyes are watchful scrutinizing every passer-by. I wipe my eyes trying to fight my tiredness. I hadn't slept at all last night. I spent the whole time worrying, going through every possible scenario in my head. This was a long shot, it depended on so many variables being just right. I knew my message would get to someone; the resistance members hidden in the city would be on high alert after last night's attack but whether they passed the message onto the right person was anyone's guess. Not to mention that person might not even be around or be willing to come. Too many uncertainties for me to believe that anybody would even show.

The park I had chosen for the meeting was busy at this time of day, the exact reason I had chosen it. I was hoping that so many people would off-put Roman enough to stop him being well Roman.

"Can I ask you something?" I question Roman.

I was desperate enough for answers at this point that I figured I'd take my chances asking Roman.

"Why not?" Roman replies, eyes not straying from where he monitors the park.

I didn't know why he was so carefully watching it, as far as he knew he wouldn't even recognize the person coming. Though Roman was pretty good at reading people, and it wouldn't surprise me if he could pick a resistance member out of this crowd.

"What's the deal with Kane's sister and Miles Gifford? They were mates right? How come they separated? Do the mates of rogues not go into exile with them?"

Miles Gifford was the mastermind behind Asteria's kidnapping. The leader of the rogue group who had managed to trick the resistance into doing his dirty work for him. He wanted to swap her for his own mate Kane's sister. I wondered if Kane would consider it. If it meant saving his pregnant mate.

"Sometimes," Roman replies seemingly unwilling to give away more than that.

"But not always. I thought you couldn't leave your mate, you just end up going back to them, that's what you said," I point out to him.

Unless they had rejected each other and Miles just wanted her back for the Alpha child she could give him.

"Given enough time and distance the bond can be weakened," Roman tells me eyes finally finding my own.

"Funny how you never mentioned that," I mutter.

"Well, I prefer you didn't have any ideas about wriggling out of the bond."

"Right because wolves think the idea of choice is ridiculous," I retort.

"Not ridiculous just redundant when a perfect choice is already presented to you," he replies.

"Perfect," I scoff, "you seriously think we're perfect for each other," I say gesturing between the two of us.

The whole idea of mates was a lot. I agreed that it picked out compatible souls but a perfect match, I wasn't entirely sure there was such a thing.