Chapter Four - The Bond

The curtains are torn open, the sun bleeding through forcing me to pull the blanket up over my head. My head was a tired mess, "Go away," I mumble to whoever had decided to wake me so rudely.

"It's mid-morning, you really ought to be up," an all too cheery voice informs me.

I swing to face the source rapidly probably too rapidly. For a few peaceful seconds I had been back at the cabin. I had been safe. I had forgotten. Pain coursed through my body as if to further the concrete the fact I was no longer there.

Roman was faced away from me, staring out the window. The view wasn't anything special, just more of the hospital and more buildings. I can't even see the forest from here. My home was truly gone from me.

Instead of responding to his rather rude awakening that I'm pretty sure had been done just to bait me, I bring the blanket over my head again and try to go back to sleep. I knew it was going to be impossible. It had taken me hours last night to fall asleep with Roman right there. Initially I had been hoping he would fall asleep first so I could attempt an escape, but I guess he wasn't that stupid.

"Come on," Roman encourages me as his steps echo closer and then cease, "I have questions," he prods me.

I don't respond hoping he would just leave. I couldn't think, I couldn't feel, I couldn't grieve in this room with him. His very presence was suffocating.

"What's Al short for?" he asks me, obviously deciding he didn't need to see my face to interrogate me.

My anger wins over my resolve to just ignore him and I pull down the blanket to face him. "I already told you I'm not telling you anything," I hiss at him.

He's sitting down in the armchair that's way to close to the bed. I wish I had the strength to stand up and push it all the way to the other side of the room. He's got a clipboard with paper attached to it balanced on his lap and a pen that's he's casually twirling through his fingers in one hand. I frown at their sudden appearance.

He shrugs at my words and smirks at me, making my anger boil, "Alright, I'll try guessing," he says, tapping his fingers on the side of the armchair, "Al, lets see. Alison," he tries to which he is met with silence, "Ellen, Alex, Alexandria," he attempts last and something about my reaction must have given it away because he grins pleased with himself. He pauses to write something down on the paper before him, my name no doubt.

"Alexandria then," he muses, "I don't suppose you'd just tell me your last name?" he questions though I suspect we both know what my response will be.

"I know what you're doing," I snap back at him, "you want to know my name, so you can find out all about me. To find some weakness and exploit it. Why do you think I'd make that easier for you?"

He studies me for a few seconds as if he's confused by my outburst. "Yes," he finally says a smirk written on his lips which made me certain I wouldn't like the rest of what he had to say. "You've discovered my nefarious plan which I tried so hard to keep a secret from you. I'm trying to find out information about you so I can use it to my advantage to fill out your hospital forms."

I blink at him, "My hospital forms," I repeat cursing myself as soon as the words left my mouth.

"Yes, those pesky forms that ask ridiculously personal questions like what's your full name, what's your date of birth," he says seeming to find enjoyment in being able to mock me.

"Okay," I cut in stopping him from continuing, "I get it. But I don't see any reason why you would need to fill them out," I point out.

He ponders my words for a moment before shrugging, "I guess not," he agrees nonchalantly, passing me the clipboard and pen.