Chapter 44

The doctor walks in. Things are still tense. It is palpable and I imagine hard to ignore.

"Everything okay?" he inquires.

I quickly rein in my emotions. I'm getting better at it, having so much practice lately.

"Thank you for coming so quickly." I give him my full attention.

He nods and walks over to Tina. "Happy to see those eyes open," he tells her.

"I'm numb, on this whole side." I hate seeing how frightened Tina looks as she speaks.

The doctor reaches over and removes the bandage from the side of her head. He inspects the incision. They shaved Tina's hair in that area.

He pulls out a flashlight and checks out her pupils. "What's your name?"

"Tina Worthington-Bragin."

I smile when she adds in that last part in and she tries to smile back.

"Bragin? So, you two are related?"

"I'm his sister. Adopted."

"That explains a lot. Where do you live?"

"4222 Fuller Street. I have an apartment there. Why are you asking me all of these questions?"

"Just checking your memory. What month were you born?"

"October. Why aren't you answering my question?"

"In due time, Tina. Can you move your fingers for me?"

I watch as her fingers move and Tina's eyes light up with surprise.

"And your toes?"

Again, she can move them.

"There is a very good chance the numbness that you feel will subside in a few days."

"And if it doesn't?" Tina asks being ever practical.

"Then we'll deal with it then. Do you have any pain?"

"I have a headache and my throat is sore."

"I'll have a nurse give you some medicine for the pain. Your throat is sore from the breathing tube used during surgery. I'll have them give you some ice chips. It'll help with the discomfort."

"How long will she be here?" I ask.

"Depends on her recovery. Most often times its 24 hours. Since she's experiencing numbness, we may need to hold her longer."

Tina I can tell has a ton more questions, she isn't asking. I guess she figures it can all wait until they figure out the first problem. Then something occurs to her, I can see it written on her face.

"The funeral? The viewing?!"

The doctor looks at me for an explanation.

"Our father has passed recently. He is to be buried this Saturday."

"You really have been through a lot."  He smiles at me sympathetically.

"I know this may be difficult for you but your health must come first. We'll have to play it by ear," the doctor informs Tina.

Tina's eyes fill up with tears. "You mean I may not be able to attend?"

I took Tina's hand in mine. "He's right, Tina. You have to put yourself first. You know my... our father would totally agree with that."

"I just..."

I wipe a tear away from her cheek. "You were right there when he died, Tina. You're the only one who truly got to say goodbye. He'll understand. You have to focus on getting better. You have to put yourself first."