Chapter 17

We are about to pack up when we see Brittany and Dillion heading back towards us. Cat froze on the spot, worry creasing her features.

"I thought you would go with them?" Cat says to Brittany.

"They don't need me. She's stable and once they get her to the hospital, they can start her on an IV of the medicine she will need to counteract the reaction to the sting. I'm sure they'll check her lungs, too. She swallowed quite a lot of water from the ocean. They'll have to make certain they're clear."

"Do you really think she'll be okay?" Cat questions, but I can see the intense expression Dillion has. Obviously, he is just as eager to hear the answer.

"I really do, Cat," Brittany says, reaching out for Cat's hand. "She's in expert hands and they take excellent care of her. Now, you need to focus on that baby and relax."

Cat gave her a small smile. "Easier said than done. I don't know what I would do if anything happened to Olivia. We've been best friends since our childhood. She's like a sister to me."

I can see Cat's eyes fill with tears and I put my arm around her.

"Well, she'll definitely be admitted but I doubt any of us will get to see her tonight. I suggest you aim for first thing in the morning if you wish to visit," Brittany suggests.

"I'll take you," Dillion offers. I gave him a look because if anyone was going to be there for Cat it would be me, but then I realize that this may be Dillion's only chance to see for himself that Olivia is okay.

"Thank you, Dillion, but Alex can take me," Cat replies.

"Yeah... of course," Dillion says, rubbing the back of his neck. I feel so bad for him, but it is actually Brittany who speaks up in his defense.

"You should let your brother tag along. I know how he gets when he's playing guardian angel. He'll want to see for himself that Olivia is okay."

Cat gives a nonchalant shrug of her shoulders. "Yeah, sure if you want to come. The more the merrier. I'm sure Olivia won't mind the company."

"I doubt she'll be deprived of company. I'm pretty sure Doug is going to be glued to her side. The poor guy looked sick with worry," Brittany comments and I couldn't help thinking... you mean how Dillion looks right now.

Brittany wraps her arms around Dillion's midsection. "She was so lucky you noticed her Dillion. God forbid if you didn't ... she may have drowned."

"Yeah, it was pretty lucky," Dillion forces out, before placing a kiss atop Brittany's head. "I'm glad you were here. She needed your expertise."

Brittany smiles up at him. "Ah, it was nothing. Guess I should have known better than to think I could actually have a normal night off."

"The night isn't over yet. Since we can do nothing tonight, I say we try to salvage the rest of the evening," Dillion suggests.

I look at Cat. I know emotionally this event has taken a lot out of her, so I leave the decision up to her. She looks up at me and smiles. "I promised you a bonfire and s'mores. I think we could stay for a little while longer, don't you?"

"If you're up to it." Cat nods her head yes. 

"Okay then." 

We got the fire going, and the talk surrounds around getting to know Brittany better and her doing the same with us. Dillion responds when it is appropriate, giving the appearance he is a part of things, but I can tell his mind is miles away. Still, it turns out to be a rather enjoyable evening, with just the four of us.