Chapter 28

I wake up grateful that I didn't dream of Aiden last night. Or at least I don't believe I did because my Mom didn't come in the room to wake me. I get up and dress in my college sweatshirt, jeans, and leave my feet bare.

I can't find anything to make for breakfast so, I place an online order for groceries, which thankfully will arrive in about an hour, or so. I make myself some coffee and I immediately think of Cat. I always loved getting up before her and having her coffee ready, Decaf for her, and Caffeinated for me. Handing her that steaming cup always brought a smile to her face, and God is she beautiful when she smiles.

"Alex? Are you okay?" I look over and see my mom in the doorway, with a look of concern on her face.

"I'm good. Coffee?"

She shakes her head no, and I remember my mom is a tea drinker. "Tea?"

She smiles. "If you don't mind?"

"Not at all," I grab the kettle to fill it up, before setting it back on the stove to boil.

"Don't you keep help here anymore, Mom?" I ask as I search for the tea bags, scoring some in the third cabinet I look in.

"Yes," I notice she is fidgeting again. I wonder why that question would make her nervous.

"The only reason I ask is Tina stopped by last night."

"Tina?"

"Yes, she mentioned that there is usually a doorman and I remember there being a cook and a maid, the last time I was here."

My mother toys with the empty cup I put before her. "Your Father let them go."

"Why?" I place a tea bag and a small pitcher of cream near her cup.

Now she really looks upset. "Mom, what is it? What's wrong? Did something go wrong? Did you not have enough money to keep them on? What?"

"No, no... nothing like that. Your father just ... he just didn't want them around anymore."

"Why?" None of this is making any sense.

"I don't know, he just didn't," she replies rather forcefully.

"Well, how does that make sense? Leaving you in the large house all alone. Surely, he didn't expect you to handle the upkeep of this place by yourself?"

She places the cup down, and then asks, "What brought Tina here last night?"

She is changing the subject, a typical Mom move. Put too much pressure on her and like an ostrich, she buries her head in the sand, hoping whatever threat there is will disappear, just because she can't see it any longer.

I'll ask her again later. Right now, it's not that important, since I'm here.

"Tina dropped off the minutes."

"She could have faxed them."

"I know that's what I told her, but she also brought the financial reports and Dad's insurance papers."

My mother smiles. "She really is a dear, sweet girl, always thinking ahead, always thinking of others."

"I've already placed a call to get the ball rolling. Did Dad have a personal lawyer? Someone who was in place to be the executor to the will?"

My mother shrugged. "I don't know."

Again it bothered me how remiss my father was in keeping my mother apprised of things. Thank God, I'm here. "I'll check with, Tina."

The doorbell rang. My mother jumps. Her nerves must be shot with all this stress. "It's most likely the food delivery. I ordered some supplies. I hope you don't mind."