Chapter 12

We get to the miniature golf course. This place is impressive. It must be over fifteen thousand square feet of themed obstacles to get through, spanning what would be the equivalent of a few city blocks.

I let out a slow whistle. Dillion claps his hand on my back. "Welcome to Treasure's Cove, my friend."

"This place is amazing! Is that an actual pirate ship in the middle of the course?"

"That it is!" Mr. Fischer says, finally joining us. He leads us to the booth where we pay to get our putters.

"Good Day, young lady." The teen girl, behind the booth, smiles.

"How many will play through?"

Cat's father looks back at us. I raise my hand, but I seem to be the only one. Cat's mom comes up behind Dillion and pushes him forward. "I think you boys should play, while Cat and I get a smoothie. Cat's a little tired, and so I think we'll sit this one out if you don't mind? We'll catch up with you later on the back nine."

Dillion glowers at his mom, and she gives him her sweetest smile back. "It'll be fun."

"Okay, it's settled then." Mr. Fisher turns back to the girl. "Three to play through. Thank you!"

The girl rings up the sale, hands him 3 putters, 3 different colored balls for each player, scorecard and a pencil.

"Come along, Cat." Her mom takes her arm and leads her away. I notice Cat's hesitation about leaving us, or should I say, me alone with her father.

"It's okay, Cat. Rest up. You'll catch up with us soon." I try to give her what I hope is a reassuring smile.

Her dad hands out the putters and the balls to Dillion and me. I couldn't help but notice that he kept the scorecard for himself. Dillion looks like we have drafted him into the military or something. I elbow him. "Cheer up, this was your idea, remember?"

"Yeah, don't remind me." Dillion shakes his head, looking forlornly down at the 2 red balls in his hand.

"Okay boys, let's not forget the rules." Mr. Fischer says taking a coaching stance at the first hole. 

"There are 18 holes and a 6 stroke limit per hole. You don't get it in six strokes, too bad. We move on. You get a one-stroke penalty if the ball falls into any water hazards and should your ball get stuck against an object, you can move it out one ball length only. We good?"

I slowly nod my head, yes, and Cat's father looks pleased and turns to take the first stroke. I lean into Dillion, "Wow, you really weren't kidding when you said he takes this seriously."

Dillion looks over at me. "You have no idea."

Mr. Fischer got the ball in, hole in one. He turns back and looks at us, with a glint in his eye that was hard to describe, predatory, maybe? 

"Who's next?"

Dillion grins and waves his hand for me to step up to the green. I take a deep breath and moved forward. I remembered Cat's warning but if I missed on such an easy hole that would crazy right?

Placing my ball down. I make my address. I putt and my aim is true, hole in one. Cat's father smiles at me. I can't say in a friendly manner but more with excitement as he now sees me as a definite challenger.

Dillion comes up and lazily hits the ball. He takes three strokes to get the ball in the cup.

"Bogey!" Mr. Fisher yells, and I can see Dillion stretch out his neck and shoulders like he's already tense, and we just got started.