Chapter 26

It is late afternoon before my mother surfaces again. Still no word from Cat. I wonder if she reconsidered. If Cat thought it best not to reach out to me, or maybe she can't because things aren't resolved with Liam. Either way, I am stuck here without a way to talk to her and it is killing me.

My mom joins me on the sofa. "I need to go to your father's office, the lawyers need to discuss something with me. I would appreciate it greatly if you would accompany me."

I can hear the question in her voice as if she expects me to say no. "That is what I'm here for, Mom. Isn't it?"

She shrugs slightly. "We have had little opportunity to discuss it. I thought perhaps you may wish to limit yourself to the funeral arrangements, but if you are willing, I could use the support. These men... intimidate me."

I didn't like that sound of that. Not one bit. "What do you mean?" She has my full attention and I don't think she expected it. She shies away from me. Again she is playing with the hem of her skirt.

"I know little about your father's business. He built it, expecting one of his sons to take it over. When he knew that would no longer occur, it's not like he told me everything. He kept business, business and didn't bring business home. Perhaps, he didn't think me capable."

"So these men... they are talking over your head. Trying to pressure you into deciding things, without giving you the proper knowledge on how to make the right decisions?"

My mother nodded. "Yes, and I want to do what is right by the people that worked so many years for your father. They are pressuring me to sell but that may cause massive layoffs or firings, depending on the company that takes over the business."

I understood immediately what I need to do. "I need a suit."

"I only have your father's. They may fit you."

I immediately refused. "I'll get something on my own. Do you still have a driver?"

"Yes."

"Call him. I'm going to take a shower. When is the meeting?"

"In an hour."

"I'll be ready to go out in 5 minutes and then I'll come back to pick you up."

I take a shower. The driver is waiting to take me to the high-end store I requested. I knew where my father liked to purchase his suits and figured it is my best chance of getting the look I am going for. They are all too happy to take care of the son of Cillian Bragin. I place the purchases on the family tab. There was no way I can afford such luxuries with my funds.

"We are so sorry for your loss. Your father was a good man."

I heard this sentiment echoed repeatedly in each department store I had to enter. I didn't disagree with them. I figure what is the harm in them thinking well of my father. Just because my experience is different doesn't mean I have to tarnish theirs.

I came back home in search of my mother. I found her in her room. She is sitting at her vanity. She jumped when she caught sight of me in the mirror.

"Mom! Are you okay? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you." I admonish myself for not knocking, but the door was open.

"N...no, it's fine. I'm fine," she tells me. She holds her hand still over her heart. "Just seeing you. Standing there. You look just like..."

She didn't finish her sentence and turns back around to finish her makeup. She was going to say my father. I look just like my father. I know I did. I thought it several times as they dressed me up for the part I was about to play: cufflink shirt, silk tie, leather dress shoes, and a 3 piece suit complete with pleated pants. I looked like a digital copy of him from his younger years.