Chapter 35

The coroner's office said they would release my father's body to whatever funeral home I give them the address for. Funeral home? Did my father have one picked out already? Who would he use? Did it matter? I hoped the lawyer would have answers for me.

I checked in with Tina. The lawyer could meet with me at 1 o'clock today. It was now 11:30. I asked Tina to meet me at my house for lunch. My mother was still sleeping.

As I made us some sandwiches from the groceries I purchased yesterday Tina sat at the counter. "Do you like mayo or mustard?" I asked.

"Dry is fine."

I shrugged and put the last piece of bread in place before handing her, her plate. "My mom is still asleep. Is that normal?" I asked.

"Yes, especially after the night she had last night."

"Should I wake her before we go to the lawyers?" I joined Tina at the counter.

Tina held up a finger and took a moment to swallow the bite she had taken of her sandwich. "You should probably let her sleep. I brought my laptop. I'll just work from here."

"Okay, if she wakes up before then I'll let her make the choice. The coroner's office said they sent the report but I'm guessing they sent it to the office because there was nothing sent here."

"I have the mail with me. Do you want me to check?" Tina asked pointing to some invisible object in the other room.

"No, it's fine. I'll deal with that when I get back. I just want to get this over with. I really hope the lawyer has some information for me."

"I'm sure he will Alex. It's not called a last will and testament for nothing. It's sort of a key component of making a will."

Making a will. I haven't even considered the idea. I had no possession or reason to be concerned before but now that I was responsible for so much. I really should ask the lawyer about making one up for myself.

"How are you doing?" Tina's question pulled me from my thoughts.

"Me? I'm fine."

Her eyebrow rose above her glass frames. Clearly showing me that she doesn't believe me. I can't say I blame her. I'm not certain I believe myself.

"You know you'll have to process all this at some point."

I shrugged as I ate my lunch. "Yes, but doesn't need to be now." I can't begin to process anything now. It's too much for one mind to comprehend and then the desire to fall to pieces wants to kick in and I can't let that happen right now.

"I hope you know if you need someone to talk to, you can talk to me."

I gave Tina a small smile. "Of course, thank you."

However, if I was going to talk to anyone it was going to be Cat or William... Cat? SHIT! I was supposed to call her. As if my very thoughts summoned her, the phone rings and I see her picture light up my phone demanding I answer.

I don't even give her a chance to talk before I start with, "Cat! I'm so sorry. I meant to call you. It's been crazy..." I get up off my chair and walk into the other room to continue the conversation.

"You had me worried about you. William too," she said.

"I'm so sorry. It's been... today... I'm such an idiot. I can't believe I forgot..."

"What's wrong?"

"What do mean?" I asked.

"I can hear it in your voice. Something's happened. What is it?"