Chapter 43

"I'm so sorry," I say as I held on to Cat for the lifeline she is. "I'm so glad you came. I shouldn't have been short with you before I left. I should have called, but I've been out of my mind with worry."

Cat pulls away and wears a thin smile that doesn't quite meet her eyes. She is still mad at me. I can't blame her. She doesn't deserve me to talk to her how I had.

"What's wrong? What's happened?" she asks.

I let a long, slow sigh. "Tina has fluid on the brain. They had done an immediate procedure. They drilled hole to allow the fluid to escape and hopefully be absorbed."

My explanation stuns Cat. "Is she okay? Is she going to recover?"

"They believe so, but she was unconscious when we left the house and has remained so. All her vital signs are good. They are hoping it relieves the pressure that she'll regain consciousness, but there is no way for them to assess if the procedure was successful until they can talk to her."

"Successful? You mean there can be further problems?"

"Possible but it's a waiting game right now."

"She's come to mean a great deal to you, hasn't she?" 

"Yes, but there's a reason for it," I inform Cat. Her eyes filled up with tears. "Whoa, what's going on? Why are you so upset?"  

"I know we broke up. It was my fault for not staying to hear you out, I just didn't expect you to... Do you love her?"

Like a flickering bulb part of what she is saying connects and the rest leaves me in the dark. "Do I love her? I barely know her."

"But you said she's come to mean a great deal to you."

"Yes, but that's because..."

"Alex?"

I hear Tina's voice she sounds horse from not talking for so long. "Tina?" I rush to her side and hug her. I'm so relieved to see her eyes open. "Hey!," I say softly taking her hand in mine. "You really delight in torturing me, don't you?"

Tina laughs then coughs. "I'm guessing I never made it back out of the bathroom?"

I press my lips together and shook my head no.

"Did I at least pull my pants up before I passed out?"

I laugh and nod yes. "You even managed to wash your hands," I tease.

"Well thank heavens for that," Tina says. "Did I hit my head again because it feels like I took a sledgehammer to it?"

I glance up at Cat who still looks unsettled, and frown.

"You fell in the bathroom and wouldn't wake back up. An ambulance brought you here and they had to operate. You have fluid on the brain."

"What? I..." Tina looks panicked but I put my hand on her shoulder to calm her.

"They've already taken care of it. You'll need to recover but they did a procedure and it obviously helped. You're awake. How do feel?"

"Besides feeling like I was hit by a semi? Okay, I guess." Tina's eyes dart as she takes it all in, perhaps assessing her situation,  eyes flick to mine and it's apparent she is worried. 

"What is it? What's wrong?"

"My other hand? My arm feels numb."

"That's a possible side effect but the good news is, it normally goes away."

"Normally? When?" This news didn't seem good at all to Tina.

"I don't know. You want me to see if I can track down a doctor?"