twenty one.

Loss
Pairing: Mac x Reader
Warning: sad, grief, support, spoilers
Summary: Jack had always been good at touching the hearts of everyone he met. He wasn't forgettable. He had been close to all of you for so many years. So despite having each other your unsure of how to mourn the loss of a friend even though your friends had lost him too.

You had yet to talk since you all got the call

You had yet to talk since you all got the call. Most of the group didn't talk at all because it hadn't truly sunk in yet. It didn't make sense knowing how many times he had escaped death. Jack was untouchable but now he was coming back in a box instead of warm open arms. He was close to all of you in so many different ways so the grief was different for everyone. Mac had yet to break but for you it seemed the tears didn't stop.

They flowed down your face on the way to the airport and during the dinner at the house. People saw your tears and said they were sorry but it was still too much. The first time they stopped was when the house was empty and you were in the dark, staring at the campfire, holding a glass of whiskey but the only thoughts in your head was how many times Jack had sat next to you at this exact campfire with a beer in his hand and laughs filling the air.

"This seat taken?" you looked up to see Mac had come out to join you. You almost went to say yes but realized it was open forever now. No silly old man to tease you as he sung terribly to Johnny Cash beside you.

"I guess so" you said before sipping the oaky liquid from your glass. Mac sat beside you and it only comforted you a little. Since you found out about Jack it was hard to feel like Mac was still your boyfriend. Jack was half the reason you got together in the first place. Now it felt weird knowing he wouldn't be there for things like you had thought. He wouldn't walk you down the aisle at your wedding, cry holding your first kid, and be apart of your life.

"I didn't get to see you much today" Mac said as he placed a hand on your back, You felt the tears start to brim as not only were you hurting but you had to see the sad faces of everyone else. Especially Riley who loved Jack more than anyone in the world.

"I was trying my hardest to be invisible" you said as you thought of all the people around you who would say the same apology over and over as if it would make it any better that you had lost him.

"I think we all were" Mac said as he thought of how the dog tags were placed in his hand. The last piece of Jack he would ever have was handed to him just hours ago and yet he still hadn't felt it. It didn't make any sense. It was Jack, how could he be gone?

"You think you'll come to bed tonight?" he asked since you had been spending pretty much every night out here thinking.

"It feels wrong" you told him and Mac gave you a confused look. He didn't know how to comfort you because he had yet to reach what you had been feeling. Jack was his best friend. He hadn't gotten to the goodbye and mourning part yet.

"Getting a good nights sleep?" he asked and you shook your head as you looked at your lap.

"Living without him. How am I supposed to live knowing he was supposed to be apart of my life forever?" the tears broke loose again and Mac pulled you into his arms as he hugged you to his chest.

"We live by remembering him and knowing he is always looking down on us. Jack wouldn't want you to be like this" he told you as he rubbed your back. He hadn't realized how much this broke you.

"Jack deserved so many more years" you cried into his shirt and Mac sighed when he finally thought of a way that would cheer you up.

"Jack has forever now. He has forever to wear a Metallica t-shirt everyday, sing hours of karaoke with no complaints from anyone, he doesn't have to pay for Cowboys tickets, or worry about fixing his phone every week. He has forever to watch every Bruce Willis movie ever and forever to look down on us and make sure we are okay. Jack isn't gone. We'll see him everywhere, because I already do" you cried harder as Mac told you this and you realized how selfish you had been wanting Jack back.

"I just miss him Mac" you cried and he kissed your forehead as he took the glass of whiskey from your hands and set it on the spot beside you before picking you up.

"You need sleep, it'll make the sadness go away a little easier" he told you and you sniffled and nodded as he led you to your bedroom and helped you into some comfier clothes.

"Thank you Mac" you told him and he smiled as he slipped into bed and lifted the covers for you. Slowly you crawled in beside him and placed a long kiss on his lips.

"I love you" you told him and he smiled and kissed you again. Thankful that in the few years he had Jack he was able to bring you into his life. Jack was the one who made him realize how stupid he was missing out on a girl like you. Now he had Jack to thank for the rest of the life he would spend with you. Jack was to thank for a lot of things and would be forever. He was apart of a lot of memories that would be cherished forever and Mac knew deep down he still would be apart of every new memory they made. Jack was the kinda friend that never goes away.

"I love you too, and maybe our first kid we'll name Jack" Mac told the girl he loved more than anything beside him. Again thanks to Jack.

"I'd like that"