Chapter 69

"Ash?" Ryan called. "Go have a shower please. And then put some comfy clothes on."

"Not my pyjamas?" I asked, confused.

"I mean you can, if you want to wear your pyjamas to the airport." He grinned.

"The airport!" I exclaimed, having forgotten.

I rushed to the bathroom, grabbing a pair of tracksuit pants and a t-shirt to on my way. I stripped off quickly, making sure I had my towel and bathmat ready. I froze in my path when I noticed large streaks of blood in my underwear and on my legs. I didn't know how it happened or how to stop it. I felt myself getting hot and my heartbeat quicken. My breath came in short gulps as tears rolled down my face. Before I knew it, Teddy appeared at my side, pawing at my hands, instructing me to release my grip. He barked, attempting to alert someone nearby, but no one came. I couldn't control the shakes and I didn't know what had happened. Did I need to go back to the hospital? Was there something wrong with me? I didn't want to go to the hospital. I wanted my mum.

Teddy barked again, and this time River poked his head in.

"Teddy...Nick, Ryan!" He screamed. The loud noise hurt me even more, to the point where I was full on sobbing.

"What?" Ryan looked around. "Oh baby." He grabbed my towel, wrapping it around my waist so that I was no longer exposed. "Big deep breaths okay?" I tried to breath with him, but it wasn't working.

"W-what i-is w-wrong w-with m-me?" I choked out between hiccups.

"Nothing is wrong baby. It's called your period. It's normal." He pulled me closer making sure my hands were far apart from each other. I tried the breathing again, and after what felt like forever, my breathing went mostly normal and my heartbeat slowed.

"W-why am I b-bleeding?" I asked, burying my head into his neck.

"It's normal. Can I leave it to mum to explain it to you though? She'll know much more than I do, but I promise you baby, it's nothing to worry about at all." He seemed nervous.

"Swear?" I wiped tears from my cheeks.

"Swear on my life." He kissed my cheek and helped me into the shower. At this point I didn't care that he'd seen me mostly unclothed. I just wanted to feel better. When I got out, all my clothes were neatly folded on my bed, along with a supermarket bag. Inside was a whole block of chocolate, some small box labelled 'Panadol' and a packet of weird things labelled 'pads'. Before I could even get dressed, my phone started ringing, but it wasn't a number I knew.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hi honey." Nana's voice echoed through. "How are you feeling?"

"Not very good." I answered honestly.

"I'm sorry Ash. Mum will be home soon to help you, and all will be well. Did Nick get you the supermarket supplies?"

"Yeah, I think so."

"Are there pads?"

"Yes."

"Do you know how to use them?"

"No."

Nana explained over the phone exactly how to use one and what they did and told me mum would explain the rest. I asked what the chocolate was for and she said that chocolate fixed everything and would make me feel better. We said our goodbyes and I quickly got ready. The sight of blood coming out of my own body made me feel sick to my stomach.

"Hi teddy." I sat on my bedroom floor, cuddling with him. "You're such a good boy." I stroked his fur as I gave him a treat.

"Ash, baby?" Ryan knocked on my door.

"Yeah?"

"Do you still want to come to the airport, or do you want to stay here?"

"I want to come." I answered instantly. I wanted to see my mum and dad as soon as I could.

"Let's go then. Bring Teddy."

I quickly grabbed all the things I needed and went out to the car. Teddy sat on a towel in the back seat and I sat next to Ryan in the front. Whilst I was mostly frightened of the dark, the pretty lights of the houses comforted me, and I felt safe with Ryan close by.

We parked in a similar car park to the one Dad had picked us up in the last time I was at the airport. I stayed close to Ryan and kept a good hold on Teddy. This was my first time going to an indoor place alone with him, and I had no doubt that it would be busy.

I tucked in closer to Ryan as we stood there waiting. It was cooler than I had anticipated, and I didn't bring a jacket.

"Here." Said Ryan, handing me his jacket.

"Won't you be cold?"

"Nah." He smiled. It was like a tent on me, but I loved it.

Soon enough, the gates opened once more, and mum and dad appeared.

"Ash, sweetie." Mum gushed. I jumped into her arms tucking in close.

"I missed you."

"We missed you too." She wrapped her arms around me.

"Favourite child much." Ryan tutted.

"Sorry Ryan." She giggled, letting go of me and hugging him. I moved on to Dad, loving his familiar scent.

"Hey kiddo."

We said all our hello's and then headed to the car. Teddy seemed to be enjoying all the action too and dad found it surprisingly amusing.

"Were all the boys nice to you whilst we were gone, Ash?" Dad asked.

"Yeah." I giggled. I told them all about what we'd been up to, even though they mostly already knew from our daily facetimes.

It wasn't long before we were back home, and I was told to go to bed. I was very unimpressed with this instruction as everyone else was up, spending time with mum and dad and I had to go to sleep.

"Go hop into bed honey and I'll come in in a minute." Mum told me, agreeing with Nick. I frowned but went anyway. I tucked in Teddy and then got into my own bed. I responded to all Morgan's messages and finally, Mum came in.

"I heard what happened today." She smiled gently. "It happens to every girl around your age." Mum went into detail about all the changes that were happening to my body, and why they were all happening to me now. She taught me all about my period and how to handle it and why there is no reason at all to freak out. She answered all my questions, never deeming them silly or inappropriate at all. "Do you think you understand most of this now?"

"Yeah." I nodded, yawning.

"Sleep time for you missy." She chuckled, waiting as I slid under the covers to tuck me in. "It's good to be home. I missed you lots."

"I love you." I whispered as she turned off the lights.

"I love you too baby."

funny I put this on this chapter number 🙃