Chapter 48

We swam for ages. I practiced floating over and over again, until I was comfortable to not hold on to the edge. The next step was to float in the middle of the pool, which didn't take many tries. I never had to worry about drowning, feeling safe with my dad right there. These moments made me feel that this is what a Dad should be like. Someone you trust and can have fun with. A proper parent, nothing like my 'actual dad'.

"Want to have a break?" He asked me.

"No!" I exclaimed, smiling. I was enjoying being in the water too much to stop now.

He said the next thing to learn was how to tread water, because that was closest to swimming. We started by holding on to the edge and learning the motions in which my legs were meant to move. I learnt the arms, then practiced each one until I could do them together.

"Ow!" I winced, kicking my foot into the wall of the pool. It was bound to happen.

"Ready to try in the middle?" The pool wasn't very wide, so I could probably reach out to the edge if I wanted. Dad held onto my waist as I started moving. I felt strong in the water, which was something I'd never felt before. I almost always felt frail and weak, but this was different.

"I'm going to let go now, okay?" He gently moved his hands away, staying close. 

"I'm doing it! Dad, look I'm doing it!" I lasted only about 15 seconds before my energy began to waver. Just before my head went under, an arm slinked around my waist and pulled me back up. "I did it! Did you see?"

"Sure did. You did such a good job!" He grinned, hugging me. "Let's have a break."

We got out and I wrapped myself in the towel, sitting on the sun chair. I have to make one last phone call, but can I get you anything before I do?" He asked.

"Could I have water please?" I asked. He went inside and Abi came out. It was funny watching her. Clearly, she didn't like water, so she deliberated coming to sit next to me. After moving back and forth, she came in and jumped up onto the sun bed next to mine. Together, we lay there in the sun, enjoying its warmth. It wasn't as cold as I thought it was today.

"Naughty dog." Dad muttered has he came back out. "This is for you." He handed me my book, some cut up watermelon, my phone and my water bottle. "You don't have to stay out here but the weathers nice, so I figured you'd like something to do."

"Thanks Dad." I grinned. I liked calling him Dad. It just felt right.

"You're welcome, Ash." He smiled fondly.

I sent Morgan a picture of Abi laying on the sun bed and she replied instantly. We chatted back and forth whilst I ate my watermelon.

She was finally at home and wasn't staying in the hospital anymore. Although she had told me she just had a broken leg, my mum had told me that when they'd done her scans, there were other unusual things that appeared. I didn't know much else, but it was definitely much more than a broken leg. She'd been in the hospital for months. I didn't know how she coped, but I was going to ask someone to help me make a package to send to her as soon as I could.

I read a few chapters of the book I was reading but found I couldn't focus as I was really sleepy. I set the book down and just laid there, eyes closed, enjoying the warmth of the sun. Abi had already fallen asleep and her gentle snores combined with the soft breeze quickly put me to sleep. 

"Out here?" I heard a muffled voice.

"Look, there. So cute." That was definitely River's voice. "She looks so peaceful."

"Let her sleep then." Ryan.

"I was given very strict instructions that, as her brother, it is my duty to make sure that she is awoken, so that is what I'm going to do. Like prince charming with sleeping beauty."

"I don't think you've got the right story." Ryan chuckled. I could just imagine him rolling his eyes.

I could hear them coming closer, but pretended I was still asleep.

"Wakey wakey." River poked me in the back. "Ash, you've been asleep for like 2 days."

"You're lying." I mumbled.

"Aha! She is awake!"

"No, I'm sleeping."

"Where are your clothes, Ash?" Ryan asked, as I opened my eyes. The towel had mainly fallen off and I was just lying there in my bathers.

"These are my clothes. They're bathers."

"Well, they cover nothing." He frowned.

"Don't you like them?" I frowned as well.

"It's not that I don't like them, it's just that they're not something I think you should wear."

"Well what else am I meant to wear when I go in the pool?" I huffed sassily. Rude.

"I don't know." He shrugged.

"Well I'm busy sleeping so you can leave me and my bathers alone." I said. That was kind of rude of me, but I was offended.

"Ouch. I don't like this Ash. Where'd my sweet baby sister go?"

I just ignored him. River then bent down and whispered in my ear, "let's push him into the pool." I smirked and stood up.

"I'm going inside." I said to him. "Wait, can you grab my water bottle and pass it to me?" I asked, just as I got to the gate.

"Could have taken the two steps back to grab it yourself, but nah, just make Ryan do it." He mumbled to himself.

"Go!" I yelled to River, who lunged from the other side, shoving Ryan into the pool and making water explode everywhere. River and I couldn't contain our laughter.

"You little sneaks. I am so going to get you back for this!" He yelled, jumping out of the water.

"Run!" River yelled. We both darted inside as fast as we could.

"Dad! Help me!" I squealed, running into his arms, just as he walked into the living room.

"Ryan Hughes don't you dare come in here soaking wet." Dad warned, strictly without yelling.

"He's trying to get me!" I whispered. Ryan glared furiously from outside. I couldn't help but grin at my little victory as I went into my bedroom, locking the door behind me.

I put on some pants but kept only my bathers on at the top. I wanted to annoy Ryan, since he 'didn't think they were something I should wear', plus I was still feeling pretty and thought I looked good.

Vote
Comment
Follow @sydnie6624

Please let me know ideas you have and what you want to see in coming chapters and the sequel!!