Chapter 7

"Oh, you're awake." A different nurse came into my room.

"I can't sleep." I said quietly. Of course, I was very used to having no sleep, but for some reason I'd slept through each night whilst being in hospital.

"Hm." She pondered, walking over to a trolley that was full of cases with a rainbow of pills, in every size, colour and shape. "This would be why." She nodded.

"What?" I whispered, frowning.

"Charlotte must have left before it was time to give you these. She supposedly had an event on tonight." The nurse explained, getting a glass of water and the pills. She handed me the pills and watched as I put in the effort to swallow them. Nurse Charlotte had taught me a few tricks as to how to swallow the tablets, since I had never done it before, and after a few days I could do it with no hassle.

"What are these?" I asked.

"The pills?" I nodded. "Sleeping medication. I suppose you haven't had any nightmares whilst sleeping recently?" Now that she mentioned it, I hadn't. "These would be why. Knock you right out."

After taking the pills, I indeed did fall asleep quickly, whilst listening to the reassuring beep of the monitor beside me. When I woke up the next morning, I could hear voices just outside of the room. The thick walls made it impossible for me to decipher what was being said, but I recognised one voice as Sarah's. A few moments later, my door opened, and in walked Sarah, along with the lady from the phone call, Laura.

When she saw me, her nervous face fell slightly, and it made me want to cry. What was I thinking, believing that I had a mother out there who wanted me after all these years? I'd be intruding on a life that I'm sure suited her just fine.

Laura then wiped her eyes and smiled, any previous hint of disappointment just vanishing.

"Laura, this is your daughter, Ashlyn, and Ashlyn, this is your biological mother, Laura." Sarah introduced us, trying to fill the silence. I didn't say anything, but Laura came and gently sat on the bed next to me. She looked at me, not staring rudely, but to take in my appearance. I could see her looking at the bruises and bandages.

She lifted up her hand and moved it towards my face. I flinched by habit, but she didn't stop as she gently touched the side of my face. I didn't understand what she was doing, but it made her smile as she tucked my hair behind my ear.

"I'm so sorry." She whispered.

"Why?" I whispered back, even quieter than her.

"For letting him take you, for not saving you, for not being there, for allowing you to end up here, like this." She ranted, hanging her head and sighing.

"It isn't your fault." I said with a little more volume.

"Maybe not. But you are my daughter, and those were, and are, my duties of care."

"I'm fine now." I told her, after a long pause.

"You don't look okay." She frowned.

"I'm getting better now though."

Sarah intervened to talk logistics about where I was headed. It wasn't really a conversation that was directed at me, but I still felt an obligation to listen.

"There are a few legalities we need to consider which I will talk to you about later, but once those are done and Ashlyn is cleared from the hospital, you will be right to take her home." Sarah explained, smiling towards me for the last bit.

"Of course," Laura replied, unable to take her eyes off me.

"Once Ashlyn moves wards her expenses won't be covered since this is a private hospital, so you'll need to pay for her food and medication there," Sarah continued whilst Laura nodded.

"The lady told me that I didn't have to pay for my food." I interrupted, feeling slightly betrayed.

"It's okay, anything you need I will get." Laura told me, but I didn't change my expression, so she continued. "Your food doesn't have to be paid for here, but in a different part of the hospital it does. It's not a big deal." I felt incredibly selfish and greedy having known this woman for less than an hour and already having her agree to spend money on me, knowing full well I had no way of paying her back.

"What will be Ashlyn's arrangement upon being cleared?" Sarah asked.

"I have my husband and kids back home and there is a perfectly good room which I can get all done up for her." She smiled at me.

"Are there stairs?" Sarah asked.

"There is a room either upstairs or downstairs. My room is downstairs so it would probably be best to put you downstairs closer to me and also with your injuries you'll be able to move more easily around the house without stairs." Laura directed at me, so I nodded.

"Sounds great. Your husband doesn't have any records?"

"Not even a speeding ticket." She laughed. I didn't understand but her laugh made me want to smile.

"Perfect. This should be really easy."

"Do I have to go on a plane?" I asked.

"Yeah. Are you okay with that?" Laura made a concerned face.

"Yes." I nodded. It sounded interesting. "Do you have kids?" I asked, only confirming what she'd already mentioned.

"Yes, I do. You have a twin brother and an older brother and then..." I cut her off.

"A twin?" I exclaimed at a normal volume. It was the loudest I had ever spoken in this hospital.

"Yes, that's right." She chuckled. "You have an older brother, who shares your biological father, and then Chris, who is technically your step-dad, my husband, had 3 boys before he married me, so they're my bonus children."

"Woah." I gasped. I had always wondered what it was like to have siblings, little did I know that I had a twin, along with 4 brothers who I was now going to live with. "What are their names?" I asked, curious.

"Austin is your twin, then there's Ryan, who is also your actual brother, then there's Jonah, River and Nicholas, who is mostly called Nick unless he's being annoying." She winked, and I let out a little giggle. It felt good to laugh.

"Woah." I repeated the response I had before. I couldn't believe I had siblings. "Do they know about me?"

"Austin and Ryan do, because there was a funeral for you. Chris knows too, but the other boys have never been told, at least as far as I'm aware."

"A funeral?"