Chapter 3

Bright white walls surrounded me. The room smelt the same as the school first aid; antiseptic combined with strong cleaning products. I didn't mind the smell too much, even though it wasn't the most pleasant. My body ached, particularly my shoulder, but the bed was comfortable, and the pillows were soft and plump.

I only spent a few minutes awake, at a time, each day, not having the energy or will to stay awake, but I had seen the same police officer who held my hand appear a few times. She would come in, talk with the nurse who had been assigned to me, check the papers at the end of my bed, then leave again. I didn't know exactly where I was, but after about five days I started to feel more awake and slightly more energised.

"Good morning." Smiled my nurse. It was the same greeting each time, if I was awake and she was there, only today was the first time I responded.

"Hi." I replied shyly, not smiling in return.

"How are you feeling?" She asked as she attached some pump thing to my arm.

"Fine." I replied instantly. That was the only answer I ever gave to that question and it had no meaning. It was default. The nurse, whose name, according to her name tag, was Charlotte, gave me a funny look. "I'm a bit sore." I admitted.

"I would expect that." She let out a little laugh. "You were in pretty bad shape when you got here."

"Oh." I replied, not knowing what to say. There wasn't really anything to say.

"Now you're properly awake, you've been here for 6 days." She started. "You have two broken ribs, a minor concussion, multiple injuries in your shoulder which were fixed in surgery, hence the brace, and a lot of bruising all over your body. Thankfully, there is no internal bleeding that came up on any of the scans." She explained. That explains all the pain I felt the day I was admitted here, but now I was on pain medication which made most of it disappear.

"How long before I go back?" I asked, needing to know now. She gave me a sympathetic look.

"I don't think you're going back there, honey. Not now or ever. But that's something I would suggest talking about with Sarah."

"Who?"

"The police officer. You might not have noticed her coming in and out. She's visited twice a day since you were admitted. She should be here soon actually." Nurse Charlotte told me as she checked the tubes connected to me. "I'll bring her to you when she arrives but I have to go check on some other patients for now. Can I do anything else for you whilst I'm here?" I shook my head as I looked around the room, my eye catching a small television in one corner. Nurse Charlotte must have noticed as she smiled and turned it on, using a small, black remote. "This okay?" On the screen was a bright pink pig, wearing a small red dress.

"Yes, thankyou." I gave her a small smile for the first time.

The pig had a strange, somewhat British accent, which I recognised from a girl who went to my school who was from London. The pig, who I quickly learnt was called Peppa, loved to jump in the muddy puddles with her little brother George. Although I was sure that the show was aimed at much younger children, I was fascinated and entertained whilst the marathon of Peppa continued.

There was a clock just below the television, which told me I had been watching for about an hour when a different woman entered my room, not wearing the same clothes as all the other nurses but instead an apron like we wore in the food tech kitchen.

"Hello dear." She gave a warm smile.

"Hi." I replied.

"It's nice to see you're awake." She commented, whilst shuffling over to me. I flinched back slightly when something next to my bed clicked, but she took no notice as she pulled up a small table from the side of my bed.

She then went back over to her trolley and brought over a tray with what looked like food, all labelled and everything.

"You don't have any allergies, do you?" She asked and I shook my head. Not that I knew about anyway.

"I can't eat this." I said politely to her.

"Why ever not?"

"I can't pay for it. I have no money."

"Oh, honey, you don't need to pay for this. It's free."

"Why?"

"It's hospital food."

"Oh."

"When you're in the hospital they feed you to try and make you healthier, so you get to eat this, and I promise you don't have to pay."

"Are you sure?" I replied hesitantly. It seemed strange that they would give out free food.

"Tell you what, if they ask for money for it, I will pay." She gave a warm smile before leaving the room so I couldn't protest anymore.

I observed the food in front of me before picking up the sandwich. It was cold but filling to my empty stomach. Next there was a small brown cup labelled chocolate mousse. I had never heard of it before, but it tasted like heaven. There was also a small bread roll with a tiny butter next to it which I only saw after the chocolate mousse, but I was full, so I saved it for later, knowing I would be sick if I did eat it.

Just as I laid my head back down, Nurse Charlotte returned with Sarah.

"Hey Ashlyn, how are you?" Sarah asked.

"I'm fine." I nodded, keeping a fairly blank face.

"I'll leave you to it. Good to see you've eaten." Nurse Charlotte smiled before walking out of the room.

Sarah pulled up a chair next to me.