Prologue

It all begins at Carmichael elementary, the only worry in the world I had was picking out a movie that me, Barry, and Iris were going to watch when we have a movie night. Now we are in Middle school and feelings get in the way, I liked Barry, and he was utterly in love with Iris since elementary. It was always Iris. She's the prettier one, the slimmer one, and I hate to admit it, but she and Barry would be the perfect couple. It's always Barry and Iris. It's always Barry and Iris and the other one. I am always in the background; I think that's why I pulled away.

Barry and Iris seemed happier when I pulled away. We still occasionally talked but then high school started and that's when Tony Woodward, Barry's bully, took a liking to me. As Barry and Iris got closer, more and more people were like "you guys make a cute couple" or "you two are going to be high school sweethearts" and this really hurt. Tony keeps asking me out and I keep saying no but I really am considering accepting his offer because maybe my feelings for Barry would die down and maybe I can kill two birds with one stone, stop Barry's bullying and hopefully bury these feelings.

Barry and I were talking and Tony came up to us, "Hey Maya, I was wondering maybe if you want to go out sometime?" "No she would no-" "Yes Tony I would like that very much," I said smiling. "Finally...so how about the movies? 7:00?" Tony says while smirking at Barry. Tony then walked away happy, not even calling Barry names or beating him up so it seems like it's working so far.

"Why did you say yes to him? You never do." Barry asked, suddenly annoyed.

"BECAUSE..." I then retracted my statement before I spilled her secret.

"Because what?" Barry questioned, really wanting to know the reason.

"Because I am trying to get over you," I whispered under my breath so he couldn't hear.

"What was that?"

"Nothing," I said.

Well, all of this was a few years ago, me and Tony broke up, I got close to Barry and Iris again, my feelings for Barry came back, and Barry is still in love with Iris. I was working for the FBI for the Behavioral Analysis Unit in Virginia, but I got homesick, so now I work for the CCPD with Barry as a CSI like him. I try so hard to not have feelings for him because I know he's just going to choose Iris. If Iris doesn't pursue it with Barry, I could finally get the guy, but to him I'll probably just be a second choice and I'm done being the second choice.

I want to be first pick, why can't I ever be first? Even with Tony I was second pick, okay yeah I admit he was my second pick but over the whole 3 years of dating I really liked him, then he goes and cheats on me and also told me he's in love with Iris as well. I swear I could never catch a break.... what's so special about her? What's wrong with me? Am I not pretty enough? Skinny enough? Smart enough? Funny enough? I don't know and I really wish I did so I can fix it and maybe then I won't be the second choice.

I wonder if I should tell him. Everything will change if I do, but I don't know if I'm willing to make that sacrifice. Me and Barry just got back to being super close since dating Tony. There is also being professional since we work together and a relationship would just complicate that, but feelings keep growing stronger and stronger. Well, if I am going to tell my story right, I guess we should get started.