Chapter Twenty-Two

LISA

"What the fuck, Lisa?" Jennie stomps inside my office a week after I visited her father's office to seal the deal. I know this day would come; it's fucking painful to see her being this mad at me. I have no choice, but to stand up, wearing my best smile at her.

I walk closer, my figure covering her as I lean toward to shut the door behind. Then, I move my mouth near her ear, whispering something that she couldn't hear. I just mouth it out.

I love you so much.

When I pull back, she looks confused because she didn't hear anything, so I pace to sit back on my chair, pointing to the chair in front of me. "Are you going to glare at your so-called fiancée forever, Jennie?"

Her nostrils flare, her eyes redden. Look at her tiny fists, she clenches them as much as she is able to in her entire life. "Are you not ashamed of yourself, Ms.?"

Her calling me like I am nothing makes me turn to her, standing up instantly. "Wow, how fast you change from Lisa into Ms.? Can't believe!"

"You manipulate my father into marrying me off to you. Well, if you don't know I will tell you something you have never imagined of, I already have-"

"A boyfriend." I sigh, slumping back on my black office chair. I don't like yellow as much as before anymore. After leaving her, black is my favorite.

It suits my life without her, after all.

She scoffs, "So, you already know that? You already know that I have a boyfriend and still have the gut to force me to break up with him? Have you, Lisa Manoban, looked in the mirror and ask yourself whether you deserve me or not?"

I hit the desk, making her flinch. I am fed up with anyone blaming me. I am tired of everything that I have tried so hard, but at the end of the day, I can see no difference in my life. I am exhausted, but one thing for sure, I am not a nerd anyone looking down at me anymore.

Gathering my courage and confidence, I look at her in the eyes. "Yes, I have. I look in the mirror every morning, brushing my teeth, taking a shower. Everything that I need a mirror of, I will use it. What's the thing with me and the mirror, may I ask?"

Some smoke is potentially getting out of her nostrils soon. Her cheeks redden as well as her ears. "You are not ashamed of yourself. Wealth makes you this bad, huh? Social status, business, all these fucking things!" She spreads her arms across the room. "Changed you. It changed you. You are nothing like Lisa anymore. The Lisa Manoban that I know never in her entire life had the gut to destroy others. She didn't even try to break me like this. You are not her." She shakes her head rapidly, looking anywhere but me.

"Yes, I am not like her. A lot of things have changed, Jennie. Have you not noticed? Me. You. Everything changes. I change to be someone I have never thought I could be. You." I laugh, pointing to her. "You change your love for me. You don't love me anymore even though you have promised me that you will wait for me. Love me for the rest of your life. Funny, eh? I, who is a lot different from before still kept my promise and love you for as long as I live."

Her eyes soften, but she doesn't utter any other word. Closing her eyes, opening them back, she asks. "Don't you think we are even now, then? You left me for something that makes you happier. I love someone that makes me happier."

"No!" I shout. "I don't think you understand it. Nothing really makes me happier than you-"

"Shut up! I don't want to hear any reason now. It's too late. Do you hear me? It's too late. Four fucking years! If you ever thought in your big brain about sending me just a message of 'hi, I am sorry I left you. Wait for me, I will come back.' I, Jennie Kim, would be so glad and the happiest girl in her university, proudly announcing that she had someone in her heart and that someone will return to her eventually."

"I returned, didn't I?" I voice out my thought.

"It was late."

"Give me another chance, I will make it right for the both of us."

"How about Mino? Do you think I could leave him, going back to you like a puppet when these past few years, he is the one who takes care of me, makes me forget you, and enjoy my life in any possible way? Do you think it's fair for him, Lisa?"

"So, you think it's fair for me?" I grit my teeth.

"Yes! I think it's fair for you. It was your choice to go to somewhere you want to go. It was your choice to tell me the truth, and I would gladly support you. I could potentially move to America with you, or at least went to the university around there just to be with you. You know I could do that, but you chose to leave me alone."

She is right.

I could do that, but I don't. I think it was impossible because she looked like she wanted to be here rather than any other place. I swallow hard before answering, "I thought you loved it here. I don't want to shatter your dream because of mine."

"Have you honestly never thought I was so excited and thrilled to be in college just because I had you? Have you honestly skipped that thought of yours? You look down on my love for you, Lisa. You never do think about my love. You never value it."

I look down on my laps, calming down a bit before declaring my final decision. "The next three weeks will be our married day. Prepare yourself."

"I won't!"

"Your father will gladly accept me as his daughter in law."

"But, I won't accept you as my wife. Don't forget that you will live with someone who doesn't love you for the rest of your life."

No, I won't back down.

I pace toward her, grabbing her neck before slamming my lips against hers. I need to know that she still has a tiny piece of her love for me. I need that reassurance. Her lips are soft, and I am so delightful that even though not responding she doesn't push me away instantly.

Pulling away, I smirk. "You still love me."

"I hate you." After wiping her mouth, she stomps out of my office, still mad.

"Lucas."

"Yeah, Ms. Manoban?"

"Make sure Jennie arrives home safely." I hang up without waiting for my man to answer me. As cliché as it sounds, I don't need any bodyguard, but today, I finally know that it is useful to have one.

I send my message to Jennie five minutes later.

I am looking forward to our marriage. Prepare yourself, wife.

I don't expect her to reply, but she does even though I bet she is confused as to why I know her numbers.

Go to hell, Lisa Manoban.

I grin stupidly, trying to fight back my tears.